Re: [News] Vista 7 Crippled Edition Runs Only on Overly Crippled Computer

On 2009-08-21, Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:27:03 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
>
>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

>>> So the OEM should install Linux and be done with it.
>>>
>>> But there is one problem.
>>>
>>> They won't have any customers.
>>
>> Not at all.  If Linux were installed by default, most customers who wanted
>> Windows would probably have difficulty installing it.  By contrast, most
>> Linux (BSD etc.) users would have little trouble in over-writing Windows
>> (or dual-booting) with Linux (or BSD etc).
>
> Why would a customer buy a Linux machine just to install
> Windows?

    They already have all of the software they need and it's
licensed in a sensible transferrable way so that they can keep
their old software as they move to new hardware.

    Of course Windows generally isn't licensed in that way or
packaged in a way that makes it easy to transfer to another
machines. Sometimes it's not even easy to install on the
machine it was bought for (sad really).

> I'm saying, forget about Windows and install Linux on these pre
> loaded machines.
>
>> Also, Windows users considerably outnumber Linux users at the moment.
>>
>> Therefore, imo, the OEMs' best bet is to install Windows 7 Starter Edition.
>> The Starter Edition will probably be quite cheap.  Perhaps not so cheap as
>> the current XP-for-netbooks at what - $15? - but still very cheap.
>>
>> By installing that, the OEM keeps the price down, doesn't deprive anybody of
>> anything, and the customer could simply upgrade at any time, paying the
>> additional cost to MS.
>>
>> I think it would be a really good and fair scheme, and I really can't see
>> any logical objections to it.
>
> My point is, if Windows 7 is such a PITA, the vendors could save
> money, install Linux and keep more of the profits.
> With today's slim margins on PC hardware and software, every
> dime counts.

   ...assuming the user has something to install on that box.

   OTOH, we are long past the time when the copy of Windows should
be a single visible line item cost that can easily be separated out
of the rest of the bundle. Windows is licensed in a manner that
allows for "refunds", so the FTC should be beating hardware vendors
over the head to bring them into compliance with their legal
obligations.

   It should be a trivial matter to tell Dell or HP that you don't
want their copy of Windows.

   There should also only be one price for any version of Windows.

   If Dell can get a copy of Windows for $5 then so should anyone else.

--

	Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
	is genuinely new: culture, like science and              |||

				 Judge Alex Kozinski
				 US Court of Appeals
				 9th Circuit