Re: [News] Wonderful Review of the KDE-based Pardus Linux 2009 (from a GNOME Lover)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Wonderful Review of the KDE-based Pardus Linux 2009 (from a GNOME Lover)
  • From: "Tony(UK)" <tony_smith100@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:16:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Distro Review: Pardus Linux 2009
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Ease Of Installation & Setup: 4/5
> | Stability & Speed: 4/5
> | Community & Online Support: 3/5
> | Features: 5/5
> | Overall: 4/5
> |
> | Overall I had a lot of fun with Pardus and it may even have finally
> | taught me the virtues of KDE, which was no small task indeed.
> `----
>
> http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/08/pardus2009/

Hmm, remember when you were at school at exam times, and the kid next to you
copies your answers?.......

> [...]
> | The implementation of Xfce is also first rate. Pardus also offers an
> | excellent variety of unique graphical system administration tools that
> | are intuitive and work as expected. Anything available in the GUI also
> | has a command-line equivalent. In the case of PiSi, the Pardus package
> | manager, the CLI edition also offers additional functionality.
> |
> | Pardus is generally very user-friendly. There are a few convenience
> | features found in the major distributions, such as automated upgrade
> | notification and automatic network interface switching, that are still
> | lacking in Pardus. These aren't bugs but rather are missing niceties
> | that I've gotten used to in other distros. The Pardus developers do
> | encourage filing wish list items in their bug-tracking system and I may
> | just have to add a few. Internationalization and localization is well
> | done and is nearly, but not quite, complete for "unsupported" languages.
> | It is very complete and functions flawlessly for officially supported
> | languages. I found the forum, Wiki, and in general the English-language
> | documentation for Pardus to be excellent. When I did post in the forum,
> | I received a quick, friendly, and helpful response. That's all anyone
> | can ask of the community behind any distribution.
> |
> | Pardus has a lot to recommend it and definitely rates a try for anyone
> | who wants an excellent KDE 4 implementation. Pardus isn't perfect, but
> | its flaws and shortcomings are relatively minor compared to many if not
> | most other distributions I've tried, including recent releases of some
> | of the big names in Linux. It's easy enough to install and use that I
> | would certainly consider it a good candidate distribution for a new
> | Linux user, yet it doesn't lack the features and, apart from the YALI
> | installer, the flexibility an experienced user will desire. I am
> | definitely impressed with Pardus 2009.
> `----
>
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090810#feature
>

> Review: Pardus 2009
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Overall though, I'm highly impressed with the new Pardus.  It's fast,
> | sleek,
> | stable, and just a good all around new user distro.  It's also a nice
> | improvement on its predecessor.  But even with all this greatness,
> | there's
> | still a few flies in the ointment.  Interestingly enough, none are the
> | fault of Pardus, as the issues lie elsewhere in other applications.
> |
> | Do I recommend Pardus 2009 for new users?  Yes, and completely yes.  For
> | power users?  Not really.  There are few distros that properly balance
> | the needs of the new user with that of the power user, and Pardus chose
> | not to
> | try to be one of those, instead siding with new users.  But that's fine,
> | because this is a good distribution for friends, family, and the
> | occasional co-worker who wants to try out Linux, but needs something

When are journalists going to get it into their thick heads that newcomers
to Linux stop reading when the word 'newbie' is in an article or review?
Every bloody single computer user in this world had to start somewhere. So,
all experienced Linux users, are what - 'Geeks', 'Hackers', or 'Old Pros'?