Re: [News] Vista 7 Crippled Edition Runs Only on Overly Crippled Computer

____/ bbgruff on Friday 21 August 2009 10:16 : \____

> Homer wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that bbgruff spake thusly:
>>
>>> Actually, I welcome the installation of this Starter Edition. I'd
>>> vote to make it mandatory on all new computers :-)
>>
>> It'd certainly have the desired repellent effect.
>>
>> Overall though, I'd rather it was mandatory for OEMs to offer the choice
>> of an /alternative/ to Microsoft's Slopware, rather than continue to
>> support its monopoly.
>>
>> http://slated.org/unbundling_microsoft_windows
>
> Oh, I quite agree, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
>
> Look what the installation of Windows Starter Edition on all machines
> achieves though....
>
> 1. The OEM is supplying something that shows the machine works.
>
> 2. A single disk image for the OEM, and only one item support-wise.
>
> 3. Minimal added cost for anyone *not* wanting a Windows machine - they can
> almost think of this as the Test Suite from the OEM!
>
> 4. Clearer separation of the cost of the OS from the H/W - people see from
> the upgrade prices what they are being charged.
>
> 5. OEMs actually much more likely to offer non-Windows machines, because the
> profit on the original installation is very small.
>
>  - and when it comes to netbooks, in my view it is *much* better that they
> come with Starter than the almost-gratis XP :-)

There is a legal case building up in Denmark right now (Kroes may hopefully
take note). It was actually put forth by a BSD proponent.

http://phk.freebsd.dk/MicrosoftSkat/
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fphk.freebsd.dk%2FMicrosoftSkat%2F&sl=da&tl=enz

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached