[News] Peer to Peer Economy Seen as Beneficial to Progress

Dreaming of a peer to peer world

,----[ Quote ]
| From my very first encounter with the Internet, ie collective mailing lists
| combining experts from around the world, I knew this was a technology that
| would change the very fabric of our world. Never before had there been such
| real-time possibilities for human cooperation and collective intelligence on
| a global scale. From now on, the privileged communication infrastructures
| that were only in the hands of multinationals and the State, would be
| distributed and democratised, a shift at least as important as the effect of
| the printing press.
|
| At the same time, I became increasingly dissatisfied with the corporate
| world, seeing how the neoliberal system not only created increased social
| inequality, exacted a terrible psychic cost from even its privileged
| managerial layers, while also creating havoc in our natural world. I started
| seeing the system as a giant Ponzi scheme (a scheme in which the profit of
| those who invest earlier comes from those who invest later), so what
| surprised me was not the meltdown of 2008, but why it took so long to
| actually manifest itself!
`----

http://infochangeindia.org/200907137829/Technology/Features/Dreaming-of-a-peer-to-peer-world.html

Copy rights and wrongs

,----[ Quote ]
| Can either of you name a single legislative or regulatory instance (in any
| country) when the concept of copyright has been challenged successfully â or
| the scope of its restrictions (in time or any other dimension) has ever been
| reduced? I canât, but Iâm not a lawyer.
`----

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/2009/08/16/copy-rights-and-wrongs/#comment-198459

Superman and a Super Copyright Battle

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1976, Congress made substantial changes to the Copyright Act, and these
| changes would have a great and profound affect on Siegel and Shuster and
| their grant of rights to Detective Comics. The 1976 Act expanded the duration
| of the renewal term for works like Volume One of Action Comics that were
| already in their renewal term at the time of the Actâs passage. Additionally,
| the Act gave artists and their heirs the ability to terminate any prior grant
| of rights to their creation where the grants were executed before January 1,
| 1978.
`----

http://www.theiplawblog.com/archives/-copyright-law-superman-and-a-super-copyright-battle.html

Recent:

Collaborative approach: Peer-to-Patent and the Open Source movement

,----[ Quote ]
| The patenting of software has increased significantly. ÂRegardless of any
| personal bias as to the existence of software patents, it is a trend that is
| unlikely to end anytime soon. ÂAs a result, the open source movement may be
| threatened by the proliferation of non-meritorious or overly broad patents.
| Peer-to-Patent provides a means for mitigating the limitations that may be
| placed upon the open source community by software patents, as the program
| allows the open source community to participate in the peer review of pending
| patent applications. ÂMembers of the open source community are knowledgeable,
| interested parties with a unique stake in the software patent debate and thus
| are capable of making a significant contribution to improving the current
| system.
`----

http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr/article/view/9/6

Peer-to-Patent and Article One Drag the Reclusive Patent Onto the Thoroughfare

,----[ Quote ]
| Patenting used to be a lonely pursuit. Patent applicants would work in
| isolation, secrecy being their only protection before the patent application
| was filed. The patent would be granted or rejected in a pas de deux involving
| just applicant and examiner. Once a patent was granted, licensing battles
| were also fought mano a mano while other potential infringers watched
| anxiously from the sidelines.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/peer-to-patent-and-article-one.html

New Patent Applications Up For Public Review on Peer to Patent - One From MS

,----[ Quote ]