Kubuntu Karmic Alpha 4 beats Windows 7 RC by far

  • Subject: Kubuntu Karmic Alpha 4 beats Windows 7 RC by far
  • From: Marti van Lin <ml2mst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:12:26 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Yesterday I downloaded openSUSE 11.1 KDE4 (Stable) and Kubuntu Karmic
Alpha 4, pure out of curiosity.

After downloading I first put openSUSE 11.1 KDE on a USB thumbdrive,
using Netbootin and booted my Acer Aspire 7220 from it. Unfortunately it
got stuck some where, before X was loaded.

But I must confess that I didn't took the time to check the integrity
oft the ISO image. I will do that after the weekend and give it another
shot. Eventually by downloading it again.

Next I put the Kubuntu Karmic Alpha 4 (nightly build) on the USB
thumbdrive, also using Netbootin and rebooted again.

Now this experience was pretty exciting, since to my surprise my
distinctive Atheros Wifi adapter (for which I had to compile the source
code of a nightly build of Madwifi in previous versions of Ubuntu)
worked right out of the box!

KDE 4.3. is absolutely gorgeous and the first thing I did, was replacing
the standard menu with Lancelot. Which I learned from my recently
installed Fedora 10 (Cambridge), running KDE 4.2 on Pleunix (Dell
Optiplex GX240).

I also recently shared my review of Microsoft Windows 7 RC1 with the
COLA readership.

Now what I find extraordinary funny is that an Alpha release of Kubuntu
beats a Release Candidate of Windows 7 by far. Because on the latter I
could not get my Linux powered Sitecom wireless router/switch/firewall,
which only uses as a accesspoint and switch behind another router, get
to work.

Kubuntu Karmic Alpha 4, Mandriva Linux and it's spin of PCLOS, do it
right out of the box, from a live session, so even without actually
installing it.

"Windows just works"
"Linux is doomed"
"Linux is for geeks only"
"To operate Linux, you at least need a Master Degree in Computer science"

Riiight.

Cheers!

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin