Re: Schestowitz Might Be Right About Windows 7 and MBR.......

Tom Shelton wrote:
> On Aug 22, 11:05 am, Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldf...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Credit where credit is due....I have an advanced copy of Windows
>> 7, like I said it's who you know, not what you know,,,anyway,
>> installing side by side with Windows XP clobbered my XP install.
>>
>> Well, not really, the data was still there, but upon reboot it
>> only rebooted to Windows 7.
>>
>> One really odd thing was I used a different password for Windows
>> 7 and when I tried to repair Windows XP, after blowing away the
>> Windows 7 partition, the password I needed to enter was the
>> Windows 7 password NOT the Windows XP password.
>> I found that odd.
>>
>> BTW to repair this I had to boot Windows XP install disk and
>> copy ntldr and ntdetec files to the boot drive.
>> Using repair and fdisk'mbr did not work.
>>
>> A noob doesn't stand a chance.....
>
> Hmmm...  I have win7 dual booting with Vista just fine.  I suppose it
> is a possibility that there might be problems with XP - since Vista/
> Win7 use a different boot manager, but I haven't heard of any.  Of
> course, I haven't been paying that close attention to it either.

Vista and Win7 use the same sort of boot manager,  XP and before uses a
different one,  so restoring XP on a duel boot system with Vista or Win7 can
be  a pain but not impossible.  Since I have done it a couple of times,  I
just don't remember what the command off hand,  but a search should turn it
up fairly quick.