Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Main BBC Goon Spreads Propaganda Again Citizens ("Piracy")

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 07:40:41 +0100, Tony(UK) wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> Microsoft's Ashley Highfield: 'We must face piracy head on'
>>>
>> snipped for brevity.
>>
>> Oh the irony of this statement.
>> Over the years, I have witnessed audio made with illegal copies of Cool
>> Edit Pro originating from companies that should know better.
>
> You would be amazed at how many radio stations, recording
> studios, professional musicians are using copyrighted material
> illegally.
>

>> This whole area warrants closer scrutiny, as almost ALL organisations
>> that are involved with the Internet in the United Kingdom are actively
>> and knowingly involved with piracy, this is being investigated at the
>> highest level by at least one political UK party's Shadow Minister.
>
> The same thing is happening in the USA.
> Certain companies have taken it into their own hands.
>
> I know of one company that actually has spies book sessions at
> studios for the purpose of digging up pirated software.
> The lawyers show up shortly afterwards.
>

>> UK ISP's that carry a 'comprehensive binary newsgroup feed' are soon to
>> be no more in a crack-down of illegal software, music and pornographic
>> content in an effort to clean up the UK's house. It is hoped that other
>> countries will follow.
>
> That should also help with the spread of virus and so forth as
> many of those programs are infected.
>
>> You will hear more on this story in the press when the House of Commons
>> returns after the Summer recess. This is no pie-in-the-sky fabrication,
>> as, for my sins, I am personally involved.
>
> I don't think it can be stopped.
> The crooks will always find another method of distribution.
>
> Biometrics is probably the only way that stands some kind of a
> chance.

I don't think it can be stopped - but by clearing up our own (the UK's) back
yard, it will ensure that those who engage in such activities have a limited
choice of news servers in non-participating countries. If a country wants to
stamp out piracy, then remove their ISP's willingness to provide hundreds of
MP3 newsgroups. If a country wants to restrict child porn, then remove these
types of groups from ISP's news servers. If a person needs these bad enough,
let them hunt out another way to get their fix - and one that is easily
recognised when investigators seize their computer.
And yes, as a by-product of this, the numbers of viruses are reduced.