[News] NSW Government Tries to Appease Free Software Crowd After Huge Microsoft Scandal

  • Subject: [News] NSW Government Tries to Appease Free Software Crowd After Huge Microsoft Scandal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:58:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Windows 7 enabled netbooks for schools to include open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Even so, open source consultant, Jeff Waugh, said that while putting
| computers in the hands of high schoolers is a fantastic step forward, many in
| the Open Source industry and community are disappointed that the NSW DET
| chose to use Windows 7 as its platform.
|
| âThe NSW DET didn't take this opportunity to leap into the future with a
| platform that encourages sharing, collaboration, ingenuity and learning,â he
| said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/316261/windows_7_enabled_netbooks_schools_include_open_source_software

Aussies give open source golden crumbs from Microsoft table

,----[ Quote ]
| With tens of thousands of Australian kids going to class this week carrying
| these programs they will spread even more quickly. So will curricula based on
| them. And, unlike 1990sâ multimedia curricula, these will be fairly stable,
| so long as the programs retain backwards compatibility, as most do.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4728

Recent:

NSW Government not giving away Linux vs Microsoft details

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24477/1231/1/1/