[News] Serious Copyright Reform (Against Intellectual Monopolies) Under Way

Europe Pushing For An Orphan Works Law Also

Copyright Reform Made Easy

,----[ Quote ]
| As readers of this blog will have noticed, I'm not a big fan of intellectual
| monopolies like copyright or patents. For the former, I'd prefer a return to
| the original term of 14 years, or even less. But even I recognise that this
| is not going to be easy to achieve in the short term, so until there's an
| outbreak of mass sanity, we need a stopgap solution.

Copyrightâs Creative Disincentive

,----[ Quote ]
| Tucows is participating in the ongoing Canadian copyright consultation. We
| will be making a formal submission and I will be appearing at the final round
| table tomorrow (Tuesday, September 1, 2009) in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
| We are big fans of government embracing the Internet in order to better get
| input from its citizens to help with the legislative process. While the
| methods have evolved, the submissions tend to be very formalistic. By lawyers
| for lawyers. To try and evolve that we have commissioned an original piece by
| the brilliant David Weinberger discussing the fundamental misconception in
| linking copyright to creativity. This piece will form the bulk of our
| submission and follows.

Is Creative Commons Good for Copyright?

,----[ Quote ]
| When CC founding board member Lawrence Lessig announced in 2007 he was
| retiring from the intellectual property debate to focus on ethics, we wrote
| the âissues [related to possible strategic errors in the Eldred v. Ashcroft
| case] are minor compared with the good Lessig has done and the enormous
| effort he has spent in trying to get it right and make things equitable.
| Lessig has put his energy and his money where his mouth has been, and right
| or wrong, we respect and thank him for that.â

Oz gov suggests world's worst copyright protection scheme

,----[ Quote ]
| In their submission, Electronic Frontiers Australia (EFA) have expressed
| concern that "the proposed legislation provides a very broad exception to the
| prohibition on interception of network communications for the purposes of
| ensuring that a network is "appropriately used"".

Australian Law Proposal to Turn ISPs Into Copyright Cops