[News] The Merits and Savings Enabled by Free Software, More Coming

  • Subject: [News] The Merits and Savings Enabled by Free Software, More Coming
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 02:21:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On the merits of open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| With the advent of Linux for netbooks and
| companies exploring means to cut costs, use of
| open source software is on the rise. The next
| time you need Microsoft Office and go to
| download an illegal copy of it, why not check
| out OpenOffice.org for a free equivalent.
| Youâre guaranteed not to get a virus, not to
| get arrested, and you will probably be
| surprised when you see how good legitimately
| free software can be.
`----

http://www.thebruns.ca/content/2009-09/merits-open-source-software

Open Source Can Help India Save Rs 10,000 crore, Says IIM-B Study

,----[ Quote ]
| Even as the current economic climate has
| compelled the Indian government to go on the
| austerity drive, by asking its ministers to
| air travel by economy classâa more compelling
| option may lie in looking at replacing
| proprietary software with open source. A
| recent report titled, 'Economic Impact of Free
| and Open Source software-A Study in India', by
| a team at IIM-Bangalore, highlights several
| interesting insights, that show how by
| replacing just 50 percent of proprietary
| software with open source in desktops and
| servers, India can save close to Rs 10,000
| crore in 2010.
`----

http://www.crn.in/Software-030Sept009-Open-Source-Can-Help-India-Save-Rs-10000-crore-Says-IIM-B-Study.aspx

Alert: What's Coming for Open Source CMS in October 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the October 2009 installment of our
| what's coming from the open source CMS
| projects in the next 30 days.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/alert-whats-coming-for-open-source-cms-in-october-2009-005616.php

Recent:

Newspapers Going Online-Only Should Look at FOSS Content Management

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/newspapers-going-online-only-should-look-at-foss-content-management