Re: [News] UK MoD Manual LEAKED: "Investigative Journalist" Now a Dirty Word Like "Terrorist"

____/ Tony(UK) on Monday 05 Oct 2009 18:54 : \____

> On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:51:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> UK MoD Manual of Security Volumes 1, 2 and 3 Issue 2, JSP-440,
>> RESTRICTED, 2389 pages, 2001
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The main threats of this type are posed by | investigative
>> journalists, pressure groups, | investigation agencies, criminal
>> elements, | disaffected staff, dishonest staff and computer | hackers.
>> The types of threat from these sources | can be categorized in six broad
>> groups: a. | Confidentiality. Compromise of politically | sensitive
>> information. This threat is presented | by: (1) Pressure groups and
>> investigative | journalists attempting to obtain sensitive |
>> information. (2) Unauthorized disclosure of | official information
>> (leaks)..."
>> |
>> | "Investigative journalists have exploited | personal tax information;
>> they also target | commercial and financial information as do | criminal
>> elements seeking financial advantage. " |
>> | [..]
>
> ..in other words, almost all ISPs and call centres then.

These also log all phonecalls in the UK and retain E-mails (maybe some
Web traffic too). This was assigned to "private company" which makes it
ripe for abuse.

U.K. to monitor, store all social-network traffic?

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.K. government is considering the mass surveillance and retention of all
| user communications on social-networking sites, including Facebook, MySpace,
| and Bebo.
|
| Vernon Coaker the U.K. Home Office security minister, on Monday said the EU
| Data Retention Directive, under which Internet service providers must store
| communications data for 12 months, does not go far enough. Communications
| such as those on social-networking sites and via instant-messaging services
| could also be monitored, he said.
|
| "Social-networking sites such as MySpace or Bebo are not covered by the
| directive," said Coaker, speaking at a meeting of the House of Commons Fourth
| Delegated Legislation Committee. "That is one reason why the government (is)
| looking at what we should do about the Intercept(ion) Modernisation
| Programme, because there are certain aspects of communications which are not
| covered by the directive."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10199107-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The Tech Lab: Bruce Schneier

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the future, where everything about you is saved. A future where
| your actions are recorded, your movements are tracked, and your conversations
| are no longer ephemeral. A future brought to you not by some 1984-like
| dystopia, but by the natural tendencies of computers to produce data.

British ISPs restrict access to Wikipedia amid child pornography allegations

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikinews has learned that at least six of the United Kingdom's main Internet
| Service Providers (ISPs) have implemented monitoring and filtering mechanisms
| that are causing major problems for UK contributors on websites operated by
| the Wikimedia Foundation, amongst up to 1200 other websites.
`----

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/British_ISPs_restrict_access_to_Wikipedia_amid_child_pornography_allegations?curid=117771

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

Police close file on BT's trials

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of London Police have said there will be no formal investigation of
| BT over its secret trials of an ad monitoring system.

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"If you think you can have a nice network with ms-windows machines on it, you
haven't run tcpdump yet." -- Alan Rosenthal
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 23:00:02 up 2 days, 22:12,  2 users,  load average: 0.77, 0.82, 0.62