Re: LSE (again!)

____/ bbgruff on Tuesday 06 Oct 2009 19:40 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ bbgruff on Tuesday 06 Oct 2009 17:35 : \____
>>

>>> Recently here in COLA views were expressed wrt how 99.9% (or was it
>>> 99.99% ?) of users really don't care about the source code being
>>> available. I suspect that my own (no doubt boring) comments re
>>> "sovereignty" fell on many deaf ears.
>>>
>>> However:-
>>>

> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2568&blogid=14
>>>
>>> In particular:-
>>> " He claims that LSE is coming off TradElect not because of the .Net
>>> technology itself (although its trading speed is 2.7 milliseconds
>>> compared to Linux-based Chi-Xâs 0.4 milliseconds), but âfor more control,
>>> less costs, and the ability to build and innovateâ."
>>>
>>> The whole article is perhaps worth reading, but my own point is that it
>>> matters little or not at all that dealers etc. have the source code -
>>> what really matters is the the-people-who-can-use-it have the source code
>>> :-)
>>
>> This marks the end of Microsoft as even a /consideration/ for
>> mission-critical systems. LSE was their one big poster child.
>
> Many is the time that I've thought that perhaps you were a little extreme or
> OTT, Roy - but on this occasion .... not so :-)
> viz:-
>
> "With LSE and its Italian subsidiary, Borsa Italiana, converting to Linux,
> Microsoftâs .Net offering is left with virtually no takers â the only
> remaining one being Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). âJSE has been aware
> for some time that the LSE has been considering its trading technology
> options,â says Leanne Parsons, JSEâs chief operating officer."
>
> "The South African exchange âwill be holding discussionsâ with its UK
> counterpart regarding the latterâs technology replacement project. However,
> it is âa bit too early in the processâ to go into any detail, she adds. "

Without LSE, the rest of those who lean on it will defect to Linux also. It'll
be all Solaris and Linux... and Oracle might move them to Linux.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with fingernail clippings
mixed in. -- Larry Wall
roy      pts/0        :0               Mon Oct  5 10:17   still logged in