[News] London Stock Exchange a Future Success Story for Free Software

  • Subject: [News] London Stock Exchange a Future Success Story for Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:57:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Makes Big Gains at the London Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| At first sight, news that the London Stock Exchange
| (LSE) is moving from the Microsoft .Net-based TradElect
| to the GNU/Linux-based MillenniumIT system, is just
| another win for free software.
|
| But the details provide some fascinating insights into
| the world of very high performance â and very expensive
| â enterprise systems.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2568&blogid=14

Everything new seems to be open source these days.......

New Open Source iBeans Promises Quick Integration Wins

,----[ Quote ]
| Loraine Lawson spoke with Greg Schott, CEO of
| MuleSoft (previously MuleSource) about the new iBeans
| open source offering, which gives Java developers a
| quick and easy way to integrate internally or with
| some platforms externally.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/community/features/interviews/blog/new-open-source-ibeans-promises-quick-integration-wins/?cs=36391

Open Source Ticket Request System

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Ticket Request System (OTRS) comes with
| two separate Web interfaces - Agent Interface and
| Customer Interface. From Agent Interface all
| administrative and ticketing tasks can be performed
| and Customer Interface is where customers i.e, users
| can raise new tickets from, check status of the
| already raised tickets, etc.
`----

http://pcquest.ciol.com/content/enterprise/2009/109100603.asp

Global Open Source Collaboration Software Provider eXo Platform Expands to North America with First U.S. Office

| Platform today opened its first U.S. office and
| announced a Board of Advisors stacked with software
| industry luminaries. This move comes on the heels of
| a partnership with Red Hat enabling eXo to deliver
| its open source collaboration software to the North
| American market.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-open-source-collaboration-software-provider-exo-platform-expands-to-north-america-with-first-us-office-63589702.html

Mckoi Announces MckoiDDB 1.0, an Open Source Distributed Database System

,----[ Quote ]
| Mckoi Software announced today that Version 1.0 of
| MckoiDDB, a distributed database system, is available
| for download at http://www.mckoi.com/ under the open
| source GPLv3 license. MckoiDDB is a database
| management application that provides software
| developers an engine for organizing large and complex
| data-sets over clusters of servers, and an API that
| supports transactions and low latency queries.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20091006005199&newsLang=en

3Di Releases Open Source Virtual World Viewer for OpenSim

,----[ Quote ]
| 3Di, Inc., which develops and offers 3D Internet
| solutions, has launched an open source project, 3Di
| Viewer "Rei," for viewing and interacting with
| OpenSim-based 3D virtual worlds in web browsers.
`----

http://communication-solutions.tmcnet.com/topics/communication-solutions/articles/65871-3di-releases-open-source-virtual-world-viewer-opensim.htm

Microsoft desperately tries to put FOSS on Windows now.

Recent:

Report: London Stock Exchange will move to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The LSE plans to migrate both itself and its Italian
| subsidiary, Borsa, to the new platform.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Report-London-Stock-Exchange-will-move-to-Linux--/news/114393

A Linux server that fits in your palm

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenBlockS 600 is powered by a 600MHz powerPC CPU and
| has 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM and a CompactFlash slot and three USB
| 2.0 ports for internal and external storage. It comes
| installed with Plat'Home's own embedded SSD/Linux
| distribution by default. Customers can also request others
| such as Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Java SE for embedded and
| NetBSD.
`----

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/A_Linux_server_that_fits_in_your_palm-nid-61740.html/1/1

London Stock Exchange in talks to buy Turquoise Trading technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month, the LSE announced it will acquire Sri Lankan
| trading firm Millennium IT for Â18 million, replacing its
| Accenture built, Microsoft .Net-based TradElect platform.
| The new platform is understood to be based on Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/it-organisation/news/index.cfm?newsid=16883

London Stock Exchange grabs rival

,----[ Quote ]
| The London Stock Exchange is in exclusive talks to buy
| Project Turquoise, the rival trading platform set up by
| nine banks in order to push down transaction fees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/02/lse_turquoise_talks/

About that London Stock Exchange IT failure

,----[ Quote ]
| All of which should have you wonder what Linux has to do with any of this -
| Microsoftâs headline, youâll recall said that the LSE picked Windows over
| Linux for reliability.
|
| The answer is that Linux has nothing to do with any of this: Microsoft simply
| hung an anti-Linux label on a very carefully worded story about a pair of
| committed Microsoft partners, HP and Accenture, getting together with
| Microsoft to sell rather simple technology to a willing customer - and
| neither Linux nor Solaris is mentioned anywhere in the text.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1242

Furse should not resign, she should be sacked

,----[ Quote ]
| Comment The farce of the London Stock Exchange not only crashing but failing
| to get its systems up and running again should surprise no one.
|
| Well, no one except LSE boss Clara Furse, who demonstrates little
| understanding that technology is crucial to her business.
|
| Iâve worked for members of the London Stock Exchange and everyone agrees she
| is world-class at corporate presentations, but the evidence that she can
| actually run things is rather harder to come by.
|
| No one expects her to write FIX handlers, or optimise an order-matching
| engine, but her yes-men simply were not in the position to make any
| intelligent decisions on technology, if we look at the board of the LSE.
|
| Do we see anything that even looks like experience in technology? No. We see
| three from the media, and of course accountancy, but no mention of
| technology.
|
| To be sure, the CIO (not on the board) is ex-Accenture man David Lester. To a
| Reg reader, Accenture will be associated in the context of technology with
| the words âscrew upâ, âlateâ, and âover budgetâ. Clara Furse cannot be held
| responsible for problems with Cisco switches - one of the suggested
| culprits - but she is absolutely in the frame for the choice of senior
| management and strategic vendors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/13/furse_lse_comment/

London Stock Exchange in denial over system outage

,----[ Quote ]
| The LSE absolved its core TradElect platform from blame. The system, designed
| and built by Accenture, runs on HP ProLiant Servers and Microsoft .Net and
| SQL Server 2000 systems. Accenture declined to comment on Monday's events.
| The LSE said, "we won't discuss dealings with our individual suppliers".
|
| Bob McDowall, senior analyst at Tower Group, said sparse explanations
| provided by the LSE so far were ânot very satisfactoryâ.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/it-organisation/news/index.cfm?newsid=10947

London Stock Exchange trading derailed by computer crash on frenzied day

,----[ Quote ]
| Trading on the London Stock Exchange has been halted after a computer system
| failed on one of the most frantic days of trading so far this year.
|
| FTSE 100: trading on the London Stock Exchange halted after computer systems
| failed
|
| In an embarrassment for the LSE, the exchange said that no orders can be
| entered or executions of those trades occur. The LSE plans to bring back
| trading in a âcontrolled wayââ, but couldn't say how long that will take.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/money/2008/09/08/bcnlse408.xml

London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect

`----

http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/security/news/index.cfm?articleid=2248&pagtype=allchantopdate