[News] Richard Stallman to Pitch Free Software in Malaysia, Does NZ First

  • Subject: [News] Richard Stallman to Pitch Free Software in Malaysia, Does NZ First
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:59:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open-source experts gathering at Foss.my

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and Open-Source Software (Foss) enthusiasts and
| practitioners will have the opportunity later this month
| to learn about the latest developments in the movement.
|
| A grassroots-driven conference called Foss.my will bring
| together international Foss professionals and
| enthusiasts from Oct 24-25.
|
| It will take place at the Asia Pacific University
| College of Technology & Innovation and the Asia Pacific
| Institute of Information Technology, at the Technology
| Park Malaysia here.
|
| [...]
|
| Also there is Richard Matthew Stallman, the father of
| the free software movement, who will be speaking on the
| movement and GNU/Linux.
`----

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2009/10/6/technology/20091006153049&sec=technology

Richard Stallman on Radio New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre looking for a little background radio to
| listen to this afternoon, why not check out the podcast
| for yourself? It runs to just over 39 minutes and LIANZA
| Conference gets a mention (yay!).  I canât wait to hear
| what he says in his keynote address.  I wager itâll
| generate quite a lot of debate so make sure you get
| along to that one.  You donât want to miss out on the
| âwatercooler conversationâ thatâll go on afterwards.
`----

http://lianza2009.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/richard-stallman-on-radio-new-zealand/

Recent:

NZ Post trials open source on desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The project is about freedom and diversity in the choice of operating
| systems, not about specifically moving towards an open-source desktop, says
| NZ Postâs technology innovation manager, Barry Polley. NZ Post already uses
| some open source software, for example Red Hat Linux in the companyâs
| datacentre, but not on the desktop.
|
| NZ Post is the only government-owned agency that has gone public on its
| participation in the Remix open-source public-sector desktop programme (see
| page 14), coordinated by the New Zealand Open Source Society (NZOSS).
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/83C4710E299C3A1BCC257623001997DC

NZ Post: why we chose Google over Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| She was also drawn to Google Apps features, figuring they can yield a further
| $1 million saving by dint of productivity gains. While staff have document
| collaboration capability with todayâs Microsoft products, Google Apps makes
| it easier to share a file, or for more than one person, in more than one
| place, to work on a document. Google Apps will also see NZ Post use IM and
| desktop video (again, also available in Microsoft iterations) for the first
| time.
`----

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/nz-post-why-we-chose-google-over-microsoft-106080

Google Apps oust Microsoft at Postal Services Group

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/28C1A6D0FAAF2B3ECC2575F9001536DA