Re: everything was perfect

____/ nessuno on Thursday 05 Nov 2009 09:56 : \____

> <Quote>
> Awhile back, I setup my elderly neighbor with everything she need to:
> access the Internet, check her email, work on her art, work with
> documents, and so much more. I haven't heard anything from her on the
> subject of computers since. I wrote a blog entry about setting up her
> 56k modem on the computer before I issued it to her, see here:
> http://www.humans-enabled.com/2009/04/my-example-of-pci-56k-dial-up-modem.html
> I was so surprised about the maintenance-free setup of Linux that I
> even went as far to bring up the subject of the computer to my
> neighbor to see if it was even still working. She responded that
> everything worked fine and that even though the dial-up takes a little
> while to get some pictures in her email, that it was well worth it for
> the price of FREE (free dialup in Seattle). I asked her if anything
> needed to be "fixed" and she said no, and that everything was perfect.
>
> I've also setup another neighbor, and her one thing was that she
> wanted to use a genealogy program called PAF on her newly minted Linux
> machine(it was a machine that had Vista, which she couldn't stand, and
> so she had me set her up with Linux).. PAF is a windows program, and
> so not thinking about wine at the moment, I recommended to her the
> G.R.A.M.P.S. (F/OSS) genealogy program. She said it wouldn't import
> the PAF files. So then I went to appdb.winehq.org and found out that
> PAF runs just fine on Linux in Wine... Then I installed it, and so
> there it is - another success story for Linux.
>
> And here's another one.. I sent a "legacy" machine with Linux to a
> friend in NJ so she could have a computer (cuz she had none). And at
> first we had some issues with getting the Verizon DSL setup because it
> was only supposed to "support" Windows/Mac, but then we broke through
> and she's been loving Linux ever since. See the related blog posting
> about it here:
> http://www.humans-enabled.com/2007/06/verizon-dsl-doesnt-support-linux.html
>
> Linux is the way to go.. I can't explain this enough with... it would
> take pages and pages.
>
> Anyone who has something bad to say about Linux - contact me, go on a
> forum, contact anyone who can truly help you get started. Because
> unless you are financially or otherwise biased towards using a
> proprietary OS, you absolutely will have something to gain and learn
> from GNU/Linux.
> </Quote>
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/15040/linux_for_grandma_grandpa

nessuno,

The rants from trolls are good. They mean that Ubuntu 9.10 is hurting
Microsoft, which only in its latest SEC filing mentioned Canonical as a threat.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

To clean and uninfected by the Empire remain, Emacs you use must.
- -- Tollef Fog Heen
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st