Re: Microsoft makes new round of job cuts

____/ Terry Porter on Thursday 05 Nov 2009 10:42 : \____

> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 04:28:29 -0600, philo wrote:
>
>> Terry Porter wrote:
>>> Want a secure job?
>>>
>>> Hone those Linux skills, because Linux vendors are doing *very* well
>>> but Microsoft has had it's day in the sun, and that day is past.
>>>
>>> Fortunately for the world, Linutherapy has been successful, the
>>> Microsoftumour is shrinking and the patient is in remission
>>>
>>> I doubt the Ausie govt, who just paid Microsoft 500 MILLION dollars for
>>> Windows on netbooks in Australia (NSW) will be impressed with all those
>>> ex Microsoft employees lining up at the dole queue.
>>>

>>> begin{quote}
>>> By Shaun Nichols
>>> Nov 5, 2009 3:24 PM
>>>
>>> Australians among 800 more workers dropped in layoff campaign.
>>>
>>> Microsoft has eliminated some 800 positions in what the company hopes
>>> will be the last in its recent series of job cuts.
>>>
>>> The company confirmed on Wednesday that it would be issuing the layoffs
>>> as part of the move to shed some 5,000 jobs in an effort to cut its
>>> operating costs. The layoffs were originally slated to run until mid
>>> 2010, but Microsoft said that the cuts have been completed ahead of
>>> schedule.
>>> end{quote}
>>>
>>> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/159849%2Cmicrosoft-makes-new-round-of-
> job-
>>> cuts.aspx
>>>

>> So "nice" to see that with everything always running so far behind
>> schedule...that when it comes to layoffs, they are ahead of schedule.
>>
>> (aargh)
>
> I'm sure the ex Microsofties also appreciate the efficiency with with
> they were laid off.
>
> I wonder why Micosoft needed to advance the layoff schedule, Vista7 sales
> worse than predicted perhaps ?

This is not the last of the rounds of layoffs.

Today........

Ballmer half heartedly talks up Windows 7

"SHY AND RETIRING Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer seems to be having
trouble finding something nice to say about Windows 7's launch."

[...]

"When hacks at ComputerWorld asked Ballmer how Windows 7 was doing, he
said "er... its fantastic... er in Japan."

""It is helping to spur PC sales... um... in Japan. We've had a great
response... in Japan. The first ten days were bigger than the first ten
days of XP or Vista or any other Windows launch that we have done... in Japan.""

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561310/ballmer-half-heartedly-talks-windows

Priceless.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

To clean and uninfected by the Empire remain, Emacs you use must.
- -- Tollef Fog Heen
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st