[News] Canonical Responds to Ubuntu 9.10 FUD

The much misunderstood Ubuntu 9.10 upgrade poll

,----[ Quote ]
| I upgraded to 9.10 a while ago. Flawlessly.
| So I saw little need to go tell a forum.
| This is where people go when they have
| problems. Gavin and Serdar were shocked to
| find people with support issues on a
| support forum. I have no doubt the help
| line at Microsoft has taken a lot of calls
| recently, but I would not extrapolate from
| that a large percentage of Windows users
| are having upgrade problems.
|
| Tellingly and almost the last word on this
| are the polls from our previous releases,
| none of which were considered or reported
| as upgrade disasters:
|
| Jaunty Poll
|
| Intrepid Poll `
|
| Hardy Poll
|
| Gutsy Poll
|
| A very useful summary of these findings by
| Nicholas Ipsen is here. I am linking to
| these polls not because I want to provide
| evidence that the Karmic upgrade experience
| is or was good or bad, there are other more
| qualified to comment on that, but that
| there is nothing new here.
`----

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=284

The Intersection Of Quality And Expectations

,----[ Quote ]
| In the interests of keeping things in
| perspective, I just wanted to remind us all
| of some of the things going on in the
| background that I think are worth
| remembering. Take these for what they are,
| but I think they go a long way in helping
| to understand the picture before us.
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/11/06/the-intersection-of-quality-and-expectations/

Days ago:

YMMV â Your Mileage May Vary

,----[ Quote ]
| No distro is perfect. Exaggerated reports or
| isolated cases will not be very helpful
| either in assessing these things.
`----

http://www.everyjoe.com/newlinuxuser/ymmv-your-mileage-may-vary/