[News] [Rival] Apple is Prison, Says Mac User Who Wants GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple is Prison, Says Mac User Who Wants GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:37:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Control Issues: Why Apple Doesnât Want You to Use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I dove into Linux at the suggestion of
| several commenters who urged me to take a
| look at the open-source end of the OS world
| before deciding to go over to the Microsoft
| âdark side.â Why not? I figured. One-half of
| my goal is never again to have to pay
| several hundred extra dollars for specially
| branded hardware just to run my OS of
| choice, and the other half is to remove
| myself from Steve Jobsâ heavy-handed control
| of the applications I choose to install
| there.
|
| Now, Linux is to Apple the way that
| Protestantism is to Catholicism: thereâs
| little secretive mysticism, and lots of free
| choice. Most surprising to newbies like me,
| there is no single âofficialâ version of the
| OS. Instead, dozens of freely available,
| mostly open-source distributions of the
| software exist, each aiming to satisfy a
| different set of users, and most installable
| on almost any machine.
|
| [...]
|
| Appleâs brand of one-way trip marketing
| sounds a lot like a cult to me. Or that
| scary fish from Finding Nemo where youâre
| attracted to the shining light, only to be
| devoured upon coming too close the the
| shadow-shrouded jaws. Perhaps even the bits
| and bytes version of a roach motel. Yes, Iâm
| that over Cupertino at this point.
|
| Ultimately, I couldnât care less about
| iTunes in and of itself. Iâll eventually own
| an Android phone and there are third-party
| syncing solutions for Googleâs phone
| platform on all three major OSes. But for
| right now, Iâm annoyed. Appleâs ongoing
| attempt to control the OS choice of former
| users by trying to steer them clear of Linux
| is mean-spirited. Every time I encounter
| another such element of Appleâs deeply
| entrenched strategy to control its own
| usersâand apparently, its former users, tooâ
| all it does is stiffen my resolve to get the
| heck off this computing platform once and
| for all after a decade and a half of use.
`----

http://www.chicagocarless.com/2009/11/12/control-issues-why-apple-doesnt-want-you-to-use-linux/

Snow Leopard ate my broadband

,----[ Quote ]
| BRITISH USERS of Apple's latest Mac OS X,
| Snow Leopard, have been complaining that
| they can no longer use their broadband
| dongles in their fruity machines.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561947/snow-leopard-ate-broadband

Recent:

There and back again. Linux to Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| I now have Ubuntu 9.10 running on my
| MacBook Pro. Gnome-desktop, kubuntu-destop,
| xubuntu-desktop are all installed. I like
| desktop options, but prefer KDE 4. I can
| switch between apps, terminals, connect to
| the network and print. I have not seen one
| spinning beach ball. I am much more
| productive. I am so happy to have Amorok
| back to manage my music, and KDE to manage
| my desktop, and konsole as a terminal
| application, and, and, andâ I am just so
| much happier.
|
| [...]
|
| Would I buy another Mac for myself, just
| for the hardware? No. While the trackpad is
| cool, other companies have caught up on the
| piece of hardware. The keyboard may be
| enough to make me come back to the
| hardware, but I doubt it.
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2009/11/there-and-back-again-linux-to-mac/

Podcast Season 1 Episode 21

,----[ Quote ]
| In this episode: Firefox turns 5, Microsoft
| allegedly borrows some GPL code and the Fat
| Elf is no more. We talk about what our
| perfect Linux distribution would look like
| and ask whether everyone should be
| compelled to contribute to free software
| projects.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/podcast-season-1-episode-21

Migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When in OS X (and in Windows) the default action
| is a very predictable beast. You want to make
| sure this is mimicked in Linux. In GNOME you can
| right click a file, select Open With, and then
| set that as the default application for that
| type of file. As much as this might seem second
| nature, for OS X users this is simply not an
| issue. Having everything so well integrated is
| not a feature on OS X, itâs a requirement. So
| make sure everything works exactly as expected
| BEFORE the OS X user touches their Linux box.
`----

http://blogwire.co.cc/2009/10/migration-from-mac-to-linux/

My development setup

,----[ Quote ]
| Base software
|
|     * Arch Linux â itâs my 6 day with this distro
|     actually, Iâm a Gentoo fanatic but from time to
|     time I try to use something different. I usually
|     how Iâll end up now. So far I really like Arch,
|     itâs extremely lightweight, fast and stable.
|     Software availability is as good as in Gentoo.
|     Itâs also easy to make your own packages which
|     is crucial for Ruby developers since it happens
|     that we need various non-standard stuff, like
|     letâs say Nginx with Passenger support. Iâve got
|     a feeling that this time I wonât go back to
|     Gentoo
|
|     * KDE â itâs my desktop environment and one
|     of the most important reasons why Iâve
|     switched back from OSX to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Dev tools:
|
|     * GIT - probably the best SCM in the world
|     * QGit4 â sometimes I use this git gui to
|     view history of a project
|     * ZSH with a pimped prompt for GIT
|     * Nginx with Passanger â better then
|     script/server
|     * VirtualBox â I have 3 Windows virtual
|     machines each with different version of
|     Internet Explorer, only for testing of course
`----

http://blog.solnic.eu/2009/10/18/my-development-setup

Five tips to help ease the migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course you might be thinking âOS X is supposed
| to be the most user-friendly OS available, so
| wouldnât migrating to Linux be even more
| difficults?â Not exactly. There are certain
| elements of OS X that inherently make the process
| of migrating to Linux easier than when migrating
| from Windows. Take, for instance, the mounting of
| images and drives. This task is completely
| obfuscated from the Windows user, but the OS X user
| actually knows to unmount a drive before removal.
| But what about simple, every day usage? How do you
| make that more understandable for one moving from
| OS X to Linux? Letâs find out.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/14/five-tips-to-help-ease-the-migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Mac computers are restrictive.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are amazing PC laptop computers that you can buy for $600
| comparing to Apple latops that are usually around $1300 and more.
| Apple computers are overpriced, proprietary, restrictive and
| protectionist. This might not be a good direction to be heading
| into. Could Apple prove to be even more restrictive and opressive
| than Microsoft?
`----

http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/mac-computers-are-restrictive.html

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_leopard&num=1