[News] Fog Computing Versus or With Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Fog Computing Versus or With Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:19:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open-source tools could make it easier to build a hybrid cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the two packages, Eucalyptus is farther
| along in terms of development: NASA uses
| Eucalyptus for its Nebula cloud. The Energy
| Department's Argonne National Laboratory is
| also exploring Eucalyptus, for scientific
| research. Deltacloud is still in
| development, though agencies could
| participate and help define it features.
`----

http://gcn.com/articles/2009/11/13/hybrid-clouds.aspx

Cloud is Just Another Word for "Sucker"

,----[ Quote ]
| The cloud, software as a service, hosted
| applications, whatever you want to call it
| is coming. The concepts are useful, but I
| have little faith in the implementations.
|
| A Practical Alternative
|
| As always in Linux-land, there is a role
| for the do-it-yourselfer to turn dung into
| gold. Come back next week and I will tell
| about this.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2009111400635OPSV

Recent:

Open-sourcers promise cloud elephant won't trample your code

,----[ Quote ]
| Avro is expressive. It's small. And it's
| fast. Under Avro, schema is stored with
| data but is also factored out of instances.
| Arbitrary code types can be read and
| written without generating and loading the
| code.
|
| Furthermore, Avro includes a file format,
| textural encoding for data that handles
| versioning. An Avro RPC framework,
| meanwhile, is being build that'll talk to
| native languages, so these languages no
| longer need to converse with Hadoop through
| Java.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/05/hadoop_version_one/

Eucalyptus Systems Releases First Major Update of the Open Source Eucalyptus Private Cloud Platform

,----[ Quote ]