[News] Free Software Enters Deep Into Scientific Community

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Enters Deep Into Scientific Community
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:42:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Science: A Revolution From Within

,----[ Quote ]
| It worked for software, so why not science?
| The open source science movement has been
| gaining momentum, and it's shaping the future
| of scientific research and discovery. Everyone
| -- scientists, the general public, and even
| taxpayers -- stands to benefit from a new
| scientific model, says John Wilbanks, vice
| president of Science Commons.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68701.html?wlc=1258736345

Recent:

President Obama's Strategy for American Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| President Obama's speech today focused on its newly formed
| "strategy for American innovation" -- his "strategy to
| foster new jobs, new businesses, and new industries by
| laying the groundwork and the ground rules to best tap our
| innovative potential. . . .
|
| [...]
|
| Protect intellectual property rights. Intellectual property
| is to the digital age what physical goods were to the
| industrial age. We must ensure that intellectual property
| is protected in foreign markets and promote greater
| cooperation on international standards that allow our
| technologies to compete everywhere. The Administration is
| committed to ensuring that the United States Patent and
| Trademark Office has the resources, authority, and
| flexibility to administer the patent system effectively and
| issue high-quality patents on innovative intellectual
| property, while rejecting claims that do not merit patent
| protection.
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2009/09/president-obamas-strategy-for-american-innovation.html

Freedom Is For People