[News] Microsoft's Alcatel Petition Denied, Bilski Updates

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Alcatel Petition Denied, Bilski Updates
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:03:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Appeals court denies Microsoft's Alcatel petition

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal appeals court on Monday rejected
| Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) request that it
| reconsider the way patents are upheld in
| court cases, as the software maker
| continues its long legal battle with French
| telecoms equipment company Alcatel-Lucent
| (ALUA.PA).
|
| Microsoft, which infringed an Alcatel-
| Lucent patent, according to a lower court
| jury last year, asked the appeals court to
| hear its argument that a patent could be
| held invalid if evidence is presented in a
| court case that was not available at the
| time the patent was granted.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2326176520091124

Open Source for All?

http://www.dealingwithtechnology.com/public/showPage.html?validate=0&page=dwt_login&url=%2Fpublic%2FshowPage.html%3Fpage%3D871528

Bilski Oral Argument at the US Supreme Court

,----[ Quote ]
| The Supreme Court recently heard oral
| arguments in a case that could give the
| free software community (and software
| developers everywhere) a huge win in the
| fight against software patents. Free
| Software Foundation executive director
| Peter Brown was on the scene, and reflects
| on the Bilski case, the oral arguments, and
| the desperate need for change.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/supreme-court-bilski

Patent Litigation Weekly: How to win $25 million in a patent suitâand end up with a whole lot less

,----[ Quote ]
| This week: DeepNines collected $25 million
| when it won an infringement suit against
| anti-virus software giant McAfee Inc. in
| the Eastern District of Texas two years
| ago. But after paying off its Fish &
| Richardson lawyers and outside investors at
| Altitude Capital Partners, the small
| network-security company wound up with less
| than $800,000 of the $25 million. And now
| DeepNines is being sued by Altitude, which
| wants millions more than it's already
| gotten. A revealing look at how a leading
| player in the lawsuit-investment trade does
| business.
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2009/11/altitude-capital-partners-altitude-nines-v-deep-nines.html

Taiwan Microloops Corp. Responds to the Patent Infringement Lawsuit Filed by Convergence Technologies Ltd. against it

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/taiwan-microloops-corp-responds-to-the-patent-infringement-lawsuit-filed-by-convergence-technologies-ltd-against-it-72229192.html

It Ainât Over

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, a jury in a patent infringement
| case found for the plaintiff, deciding that
| all three patents-in-suit were âvalidâ
| (actually, ânot invalidâ) and infringed. A
| happy plaintiff, right? Wrong! The very
| next day, the Patent Office Board of Patent
| Appeals and Interferences (the B.P.A.I.)
| ruled that the defendant was actually the
| first to invent the subject matter of the
| patents and that rights to these
| inventions, therefore, belonged not to the
| plaintiff, but to the defendant.
`----

http://www.generalpatent.com/2009/11/12/it-ain%E2%80%99t-over

Recent:

Alcatel-Lucent Networking Embraces Linux, NAC

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3815526/AlcatelLucent+Networking+Embraces+Linux+NAC.htm