[News] Differences Between Linux And Windows - and Why GNU/Linux is Better

  • Subject: [News] Differences Between Linux And Windows - and Why GNU/Linux is Better
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:05:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Differences Between Linux And Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Kernel is an operating system,
| which runs on a wide variety of hardware
| and for a variety of purposes. Linux is
| capable of running on devices as simple as
| a wrist watch, or a cell phone, but it can
| also run on a home computer using, for
| example Intel, or AMD processors, and its
| even capable of running on high end servers
| using Sun Sparc CPUâs or IBM power PC
| processors. Some Linux distroâs can only
| run one processor, while others can run
| many at once.
|
| [...]
|
| In conclusion we will conclude that the
| Linux OS really is the superior software.
| Other than a few minor nuisances, linux out
| performs Windows in most categories. The
| fact that Linux is more secure is the
| tipping point, that tilts the scales in the
| favor of Linux. Windows simply suffers from
| far to many security vulnerabilities for it
| to be considered the better over all
| desktop environment.
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2009/11/27/differences-between-linux-and-windows/

Exactly Why We Are No Longer UNIX-ish

,----[ Quote ]
| We didn't have to jump on with X11, where
| bloat and complexity are present for no
| apparent reason whatsoever, and where nasty
| hacks have resulted in even more
| complexity. We didn't have to jump on with
| KDE where a lack of extensibility,
| parsimony, clarity, modularity, simplicity,
| and repair lead to the need for a rewrite
| from the ground up, and left many of us
| hating the new version. We didn't have to
| jump on with GNOME or XFCE that are facing
| similar growing pains. We didn't have to
| sign on with any of this, but we did. We
| are now paying the price as our systems get
| heavier and heavier, and like the guys on
| the other side of the fence (Windows and
| such), we are going to start upgrading our
| systems just because our OS demands a
| better machine.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/11/exactly-why-we-are-no-longer-unix-ish.html

Recent:

GNU/Linux Security: Linux House vs Microsoft House

,----[ Quote ]
| How is GNU/Linux different? A GNU/Linux desktop
| system is designed from the ground up along the
| Unix model of multiple tasks with multiple
| users among multiple computers on a network. I
| will call this a many-many-many design. As such
| the basic design also includes consideration
| for securing the operating system and data on
| same when many users may have access to the
| same system simultaneously. Therefore, when a
| GNU/Linux computer is taken out of the box for
| the first time it already has a higher security
| capability. This is because of the many-many-
| many design that included consideration for
| security from the beginning.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2009/10/23/gnulinux-security-linux-house-vs-microsoft-house/

Open Source Software: More Reasons It Is More Secure

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/1072801##