[News] MAFIAA Puts in Jeopardy TVs, Data Preservation

  • Subject: [News] MAFIAA Puts in Jeopardy TVs, Data Preservation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:23:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MPAA: Still No Reason to Break TVs, DVD Copy Protection Does Not Stop Copying

,----[ Quote ]
| As devotees of our hit video series Five
| Minutes with Harold Feld (or as the cool
| kids call it â5MWHFâ) will no doubt recall,
| on the eve of Thanksgiving MPAA dropped a
| lengthy filing into the Selectable Output
| Control (SOC) docket. Among other things, it
| called Harold a liar. Harold immediately
| took five minutes to tell MPAA to chillax,
| and yesterday we filed our official response
| with the FCC. Although I urge you to read
| our full reply (I promise it is much shorter
| than the MPAAâs), if you are in a rush here
| is the short version. Our response basically
| made three points.
|
| [...]
|
| Public Knowledge does not know which of
| these groups should be satisfied. More
| importantly, neither does the FCC. The FCCâs
| job is not to choose winners and losers in
| the marketplace. Instead, the FCCâs job is
| to advance the public interest. MPAA
| produced plenty of information in its most
| recent filing, but none of it suggests that
| SOC is in the public interest.
|
| Oh, and just in case you were wondering to
| yourself âwho owns these millions of HDTVs
| that will be broken if the FCC allows SOC?â
| I canât tell you everyone who owns one, but
| I do know that at least one of them is on
| the ground floor of the FCC.
`----

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2811

Has the Digital Economy Bill opened a book on the future of libraries?

,----[ Quote ]
| The irony is that the Government has put
| libraries at the forefront of its campaign
| to push services online in order to improve
| efficiency and reach more people.
|
| My Mum says that libraries are increasingly
| reliant on their provision of Internet
| access to attract visitors, and that if they
| were no longer able to provide such access,
| itâd be difficult to put together a case for
| their continued existence.
`----

http://www.richardskingdom.net/has-the-digital-economy-bill-opened-a-book-on-the-future-of-libraries

Damned Pirates: Hollywood Sets $10 Billion Box Office Record

,----[ Quote ]
| Claims by the MPAA that illegal downloads
| are killing the industry and causing
| billions in losses are once again being
| shredded. In 2009, the leading Hollywood
| studios made more films and generated more
| revenue than ever before, and for the first
| time in history the domestic box office
| grosses will surpass $10 billion.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/damned-pirates-hollywood-sets-10-billion-box-office-record-091211/

Anti-Piracy Group Wants To Ban You From Talking About Usenet

,----[ Quote ]
| The first rule of Usenet is, you donât talk
| about Usenet. This rule kept Usenet
| providers and users out of sight from anti-
| piracy organizations for years. Ironically,
| the Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN are now
| the first ones trying to enforce this rule
| in court.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-outfit-wants-ban-on-usenet-talk-091210/

Famous boxing announcer sues local radio station

,----[ Quote ]
| Famous boxing announcer Michael Buffer has
| filed a lawsuit against a Borderland radio
| station.
|
| Buffer alleges XHNZ 107.5 used his
| copyrighted catch phrase "Let's get ready to
| rumble" without his permission.
`----

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=11610554

4 Ways One Big Database Would Help Music Fans, Industry

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/4-ways-one-big-database-would-help-music-fans-industry/