[News] Desktop GNU/Linux Thrives in Developing Nations, Less So in the West

  • Subject: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux Thrives in Developing Nations, Less So in the West
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:04:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Killer Applications that make 800 pound gorillas tremble

,----[ Quote ]
| The truth of the matter is Gandhi-Con4 has
| already started.  Brazil, the 10th largest
| world economy and growing, dumped Microsoft
| in favor of Linux years ago in a desire for
| transparency and has been tickeled pink
| ever since. The French Army just quit
| Outlook in favor of the open source email
| client, Thunderbird. It does not stop
| there, remember, countries in every corner
| of the world have ordered One-Laptop-Per-
| Child netbooks that run Linux. Tax-payers
| of the world will see this trend and get
| sick and tired of seeing that Microsoft is
| on their corporate welfare dole.
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2009/12/12/killer-applications-that-make-800-pound-gorillas-tremble/

Yet Another Reason To Learn Linux â Itâs Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Your Linux costs donât end with the Internet.
| I donât think that the electricity that powers
| your computer is free. And the longer your
| days and nights spent in front of the
| computer the higher your light and heat
| bill. Furthermore, the more time you spend
| on Linux the more money you may end up
| spending on snacks, new eyeglasses, and
| taxis when you miss the bus to work because
| you just couldnât tear yourself away from
| the computer in time. I think you get my
| drift. But we repeat. Linux, this website,
| and many of the references on the web are
| free. Should you outgrow Damn Small Linux
| the larger versions of Linux are free, or
| at least quite inexpensive when compared to
| ostensibly similar versions of Microsoft
| Windows.
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2009/12/12/yet-another-reason-to-learn-linux-its-free/

Related:

Deploying KDE [and Debian] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html