[News] Freedom and the Fogdom: Debate Revisited

  • Subject: [News] Freedom and the Fogdom: Debate Revisited
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:48:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Software Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| We, free (libre, as in freedom) software
| users are used to prefer open source
| software over closed source, and I think
| itâs great, Iâm not going to discuss about
| that now though, thereâs plenty of
| literature about that. My concern today is
| about distributed services (some people
| call it the cloud if you wish).
|
| [...]
|
| I think the inflection here comes to the
| âAm I capable to install that service on
| my own server?â. If we have an
| alternative, itâs just our choice to be
| using the distributed service or not. I
| think we donât want to introduce people to
| closed source software just because itâs
| easy. Do we?
`----

http://www.proli.net/2009/12/13/software-freedom/

Freedom or Sponsors, Not Both? by Thomas King

,----[ Quote ]
| Does lack of membership to FSF and GNU
| mean you donât support software Freedom?
| Heavens, no! However, separating yourself
| from them says there is something you
| donât like about their stances and ideals.
| Complaining that a pretty hard line
| against closed, proprietary software might
| hurt the feelings of the sponsors just
| shouts that all bets are off, the doors
| are being swung wide open, and corporate
| interests are being put ahead of Freedom
| and the overall community. Yes, the
| Foundation needs money to operate,
| granted, but at what cost? Should it bend
| to the will of the sponsors to the point
| it loses its identity in the process of
| kowtowing?
`----

http://www.pwnage.ca/?p=467

Recent:

Open Cloud Services & Co-operative Community Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.elasticvapor.com/2009/12/open-cloud-services-co-operative.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Elasticvapor+%28ElasticVapor%29