[News] Why GNU/Linux Makes a Perfect Gift That Proprietary Products That Cannot Match

  • Subject: [News] Why GNU/Linux Makes a Perfect Gift That Proprietary Products That Cannot Match
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:02:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Give the Gift of Linux for the Holidays

,----[ Quote ]
| Why Linux?
| Unlike Windows and Mac OS X, which cost money
| and offer (with some minor exceptions) only one
| set of features and capabilities for all users,
| Linux is free and comes in many different
| flavors. Regardless of what the person on your
| list likes to do, you'll almost certainly be
| able to find the perfect distro for him or her.
| And if you can't, you can probably roll your
| ownâtry doing that with Windows.
|
| Do Steve Ballmer or Steve Jobs really need any
| more money? I think not. Rather than giving
| Microsoft or Apple any of your money during
| these frugal days, keep your cash and go with
| Linux instead.

Computing: For those who deserve geeky gifts

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10 â Free, Canonical,
| www.ubuntu.com. Got a Windows user on your
| list who's been curious about trying the
| Linux operating system? Download the latest
| version of Ubuntu â code-named Karmic Koala Ââ
| and burn it to a bootable CD. It can run
| right off the CD, where your recipient can
| try out its secure Windows-like desktop and
| sample its free software. When done, just
| remove the CD and reboot the computer, and
| the user will be back to Windows again. This
| makes a great stocking stuffer, but if you're
| the family tech support, be prepared for the
| possibility that you'll be asked to
| permanently install it. It's that good.
`----

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/6770257.html

Geek Holiday Guide: Gifts, Stress-Busters and a Fast Track to Jan. 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Then there was Montreal consultant and
| Slashdot blogger Gerhard Mack, who's dreaming
| of "a decent mp3 player with OGG and FLAC
| support that only needs standard USB drivers
| to work.
|
| "Combine that with a decent set of noise-
| isolating ear canal headphones, and you have
| a surefire way of letting your favorite geek
| avoid all of the over-repeated, attempting-
| cute-but-failing-badly, ridiculously annoying
| music that tends to get played over the month
| of December," he explained.

Gift Ideas for Linux Geeks

,----[ Quote ]
| The holiday season is approaching fast, but
| there is still time to buy a nice gift for the
| Linux geek in your life. Not sure what to give?
| Here are a couple of gift ideas.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Gift-Ideas-for-Linux-Geeks

7 Fabulous Gifts For Your Favorite Linux/FOSS Geek

,----[ Quote ]
| The best part about being a grownup is you
| can be your own favorite Linux/FOSS geek and
| buy yourself nice things. Here are some cool
| gift ideas for this holiday season. Or any
| time of year, because excellent adult toys
| know no seasons.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6923/1/

Gift Tip 72: Nokia N900 Linux Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nokia N900 is Nokiaâs first smartphone
| possessing a Desktop operating system. It is
| using the Maemo 5 Linux based operating
| system. With the Nokia N900âs powerful
| features such as ARM Cortex-A8 processor, up
| to 1GB of application memory and OpenGL ES
| 2.0 graphics acceleration, it allows you to
| deal with multiple application windows at the
| same while being able to get maximum utility
| from its touch screen, cellular features and
| QWERTY keyboard.
`----

http://www.i4u.com/article29067.html

Gift Tip 74: T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Android Phone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.i4u.com/article29069.html