Re: [News] Why GNU/Linux Makes a Perfect Gift That Proprietary Products That Cannot Match

____/ 7 on Tuesday 22 Dec 2009 20:37 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Give the Gift of Linux for the Holidays
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Why Linux?
>> | Unlike Windows and Mac OS X, which cost money
>> | and offer (with some minor exceptions) only one
>> | set of features and capabilities for all users,
>> | Linux is free and comes in many different
>> | flavors. Regardless of what the person on your
>> | list likes to do, you'll almost certainly be
>> | able to find the perfect distro for him or her.
>> | And if you can't, you can probably roll your
>> | ownâtry doing that with Windows.
>> |
>> | Do Steve Ballmer or Steve Jobs really need any
>> | more money? I think not. Rather than giving
>> | Microsoft or Apple any of your money during
>> | these frugal days, keep your cash and go with
>> | Linux instead.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2357356,00.asp
>

> My desktops are taken up with freedom software
> and there doesn't appear to be any proprietary
> replacements and niche quality/useful software
> that I could add to my desktop. Proprietary doesn't serve freedom
> software and they set to endure a long recession
> and miss out on a lot of revenue by writing
> duplicated and incompatible unsupportable closed
> applications.
>
> All tech happiness and revenue is now derived from
> freedom software. Closed source is toxic - it wasted
> most of my time with nothing to show for it other
> than tons of money down the drain.
>
> I personally believe selling of proprietory software
> to governments, schools and civil organisations
> should be banned and replaced with open source
> data and open source software. Its good for them
> and its good for the tax payer.

It was never about taxpayers though. It's about campaign funding and kickbacks.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Application has reported a "Not My Fault" in module KRNL.EXE
in line 0200:103F
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers