[News] 2010 a Good Year for Desktop GNU/Linux, 2009 Also

  • Subject: [News] 2010 a Good Year for Desktop GNU/Linux, 2009 Also
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:44:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A good year for desktop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| 2010 is going to be a good year for Linux on
| the desktop.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideBusop.htm?f=2009/december/22/chinwong.isx&d=/2009/december/22

Linux and Open Source: Best of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| This year, we saw the new releases of major
| distributions such as Ubuntuâs Jaunty
| Jackalope and Karmic Koala; Mandriva 2009 and
| 2010; Fedora 11 and 12; and openSUSE 11.2. It
| was also a big year for Google in the open
| source arena with the release of the Google
| Chrome OS beta, the new Chrome browser, and
| the Android 2.0 platform for the Droid
| smartphone.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1120

Linux or Windows: Most hardware support plans are worthless

,----[ Quote ]
| If you really want real technical support for
| a Linux system, but one from Dell, system76,
| or another vendor that sells and supports
| Linux systems. Expecting support from a chain
| store or a vendor that doesn't pre-bundle
| Linux with their systems is just a waste of
| your time.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15293/linux_or_windows_most_hardware_support_plans_are_worthless

Recent:

10 Linux-based Technologies to Look for in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone has posted their predictions for 2010
| but here's the real scoop on what's going to
| happen in 2010 with Linux and Linux-oriented
| hardware and software products. Get ready to
| see the biggest increase in Linux adoption in
| history. You can say you saw it here first.
| These are in no particular ranking or order.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story247912.html

Kickstart 2010 with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If your new year's resolution is to kick the
| Microsoft habit, here are some Linux versions
| you might want to look at.
|
| Switching to a new operating system is never
| easy. Particularly if you were brought up on a
| staple diet of Microsoft Windows. But it's not
| as hard as it used to be to switch to Linux
| because there is a good selection of quality
| Linux versions that are easy to install and
| comfortable to use.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/10902.html

Eight IT Predictions for 2010