[News] Review of the Openmoko WikiReader and Some E-Readers Based on Linux

  • Subject: [News] Review of the Openmoko WikiReader and Some E-Readers Based on Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:08:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Openmoko's WikiReader

,----[ Quote ]
| Openmoko, the company that first gained
| attention for its Linux-based phone
| platform, launched a new pocket-sized open
| source product in time for this holiday
| season, the WikiReader. The WikiReader is an
| inexpensive ($99), low-power, 4-inch square
| touchscreen LCD display device pre-loaded
| with the text of three million Wikipedia
| pages on a microSD card. In the smartphone
| era, skeptics might dismiss the device as
| woefully underpowered, but to the open
| source community the more pertinent question
| is what else can it do?
|
| [...]
|
| For today, however, the product makes for a
| fun stocking stuffer for the family hacker.
| Openmoko is positioning the device in its
| advertising as a way to get content into the
| hands of the "75% of the world [that] is
| offline" â including people in airplanes or
| on beaches, and "most everywhere." The
| WikiReader certainly does that; several
| online reviews have praised its value in
| museums and tourist locations, where data
| plan charges would make a connected device
| prohibitively expensive to operate.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/366927/

Not all ereaders are the same

,----[ Quote ]
| As we count down to end of 2009, the
| emerging star of this year's holiday
| shopping season is shaping up to be the
| electronic book reader (or e-reader). From
| Amazon's Kindle to Barnes and Noble's
| forthcoming Nook, e-readers are starting to
| transform how we buy and read books in the
| same way mp3s changed how we buy and listen
| to music.
`----

http://www.cubicgarden.com/blojsom/blog/cubicgarden/culture/?permalink=Not-all-ereaders-are-the-same.html

Recent:

Hands-on: OpenMoko WikiReader is simple, appealing

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko's WikiReader is a unique gadget with
| a single function. The simple handheld device
| stores the text of over 3 million Wikipedia
| entries, enabling convenient offline access to
| the popular Internet encyclopedia. We have
| conducted some hands-on testing with the new
| product and found it to be surprisingly
| compelling despite its limitations.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/11/hands-on-openmoko-wikireader-is-simple-appealing.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss