[News] ARM-based Sub-notebooks to Hit the Market with GNU/Linux, Google

  • Subject: [News] ARM-based Sub-notebooks to Hit the Market with GNU/Linux, Google
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:09:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ready or not, 2010 could be the year of the smartbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| For the past 12 months or so, weâve heard a
| lot of talk about mini-laptops running ARM-
| based processors. These so-called
| âsmartbooksâ feature low power ARM
| processors which means that while they canât
| run Windows XP or 7, they can run Linux,
| last for a very long time on a charge, and
| some feature integrated 3G connectivity and
| HD video acceleration features. You also get
| the ability to receive emails, instant
| messages, and other data even while the
| computer is in sleep mode. In other words,
| theyâre like a cross between a smartphone
| and a netbook, which explains the whole
| âsmartbookâ name.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/ready-or-not-2010-could-be-the-year-of-the-smartbooks.html

New Asus âPinetrailâ netbooks top 10 hour battery life

,----[ Quote ]
| Asusâ upgraded Eee PC netbooks sport Intelâs
| new Atom N450 processor for over ten hours
| battery life, plus the quick loading
| âSplashtopâ pre-boot Linux OS.
`----

http://apcmag.com/new-asus-pinetrail-netbooks-top-10-hour-battery-life.htm

Denial

,----[ Quote ]
| All over the web are warnings that netbooks
| are doomed.
|
| [...]
|
| No. This is about wishful thinking by the
| monopolists who need high retail prices to
| hide the price of their part of the PC, CPUs
| and licences for software. If prices for
| netbooks rise, fewer will be sold.
| Fortunately entrepreneurs all over the world
| continue to make less expensive netbooks.
| ARM will dominate netbooks in 2010. You can
| trade a lot of day-long battery-life for
| some hair-drying CPUs anytime.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2009/12/28/denial/

White-Box Foxconn Netbooks Surface at FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| The rather interesting element is the fact
| that these are white-box models. This means
| that the devices will bear the brands of
| other companies, which implies that Foxconn
| may have already completed its marketing
| plans concerning the PCs. If the company has
| already decided on which companies will sell
| its product, the actual availability may
| ramp up over the next couple of months or
| so.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/White-Box-Foxconn-Netbooks-Surface-at-FCC-130730.shtml

NorhTec Gecko Edubook first look: Netbook that runs on AA batteries

,----[ Quote ]
| I mean sure, it has an 8.9 inch 1024 x 600
| pixel display and can run Windows or Linux.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/norhtec-gecko-edubook-first-look-netbook-that-runs-on-aa-batteries.html

Recent:

Foxconn Linux netbook hits the FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| Foxconn is a Taiwanese OEM that makes computers
| that are rebranded and sold under different
| company monikers. So I donât expect to see the
| Foxconn SZ901P hit US shelves anytime soon, at
| least not under that name. But the FCC has
| published documents related to a netbook under
| that name.
|
| The one interesting thing about the Foxconn
| netbook is that it supports Windows XP as well
| as a custom Linux distribution called FoxOS,
| which includes a dock-style program launcher.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/foxconn-linux-netbook-hits-the-fcc.html

Foxconn netbook runs on Linux

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/12/foxconn_netbook_runs_on_linux.html

Foxconn working on 'sub-Â100' ARM-based Linux netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Will ARM-based netbooks retail for under Â100? The Taiwanese contract
| manufacturer behind the Foxconn brand seems to think so.
|
| A Hon Hai Precision staffer - one Young Liu, special assistant to the company's
| CEO - admitted this week that "we have a few smartbook projects and I think there
| is demand for these sub-$200 devices".
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/09/08/foxconn_cheap_arm_netbooks/

Foxconn developing inexpensive, Arm-based smartbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Foxconn Technology plans to launch its first smartbooks next year, which are
| mini-laptops that use microprocessors from Arm Holdings normally found in
| smartphones.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/090809-foxconn-developing-inexpensive-arm-based.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Foxconn, ACPI fail, and leaving money on the table

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/23489