Re: [News] GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Alive and Kicking (Especially Outside US)

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 01 Jan 2010 15:09 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 31 Dec 2009 20:40 : \____
>>

>>> Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This is hardly surprising - Microsoft are in all kinds of trouble,
>>> desperately trying to push Windows into a world which cares not one jot
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> Personally, I'm looking for Genuine Linux on my purchases.  Genuine
>>> Windows can stay back in the Genuine Shop, where it can do the least
>>> damage.
>>
>> Financially, Vista 7 is already proving problematic to them. In the last
>> quarter, Windows revenue was down 40% as the Windows /margins/ decline
>> considerably (due to Linux).
>>
>> Microsoft has given more free copies of Windows last year than ever before.
>>

> This is precisely the point wrt "how do you compete with free".  Linux
> is driving the value out of the OS market, very quickly now, so
> Microsoft have an interesting set of problems to deal with.  They could
> port MSOffice to Linux, but that would mean effectively abandoning the
> Windows market entirely, and as there is still revenue to be had, they
> won't do that yet.
>
> Similarly, as the market value is collapsing, there will be no business
> case for creating a genuinely new version of Windows, so Microsoft are
> stuck with keeping XP limping along (2K is 10 years old now, and XP is a
> few patches to 2K) for small footprint machines and hoping that the
> public can be persuaded to abandon processor cycles in order to run
> Windows 7.x
>
> I suspect that we might see a major collapse of MS's Windows revenues
> this year, as the global recession continues, and companies look for
> ways of avoiding cost.

Microsoft's buddy, Al Gillen fro IDC, said that 7 might be "the last
OS from Microsoft" (whatever that means). That was about 2 weeks ago.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"