Re: Ylmf OS - interesting development

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 04 Jan 2010 18:50 : \____

>> ____/ JeffM on Sunday 03 Jan 2010 22:56 : \____

>>> My point was all about advocacy and boot-to-a-desktop CDs
>>> which allow folks to test drive various distro/DE combos
>>> and see for themselves how those look/handle
>>> **without installing anything**.
>>
>> Especially important in rural areas in Africa where even installing the GIMP
>> can be a handful. Broadband speeds are /still/ an issue to many (which is
>> why one download of a distro may mean a lot of /installations/).
>
> There's a lot of bandwidth on a DVD.  A DVD by first-class post,
> assuming 24 hours for delivery, a 5Gigbyte DVD represents a transmission
> rate of ~460kbit/s, which is probably more than most ADSL users get.  A
> DVD-18 (17G) is clearly just over 3 times that, so is about equivalent
> to 1.5Mbit/s, which is way outside what a typical ADSL user would get.
> (don't forget to multiply by 8 for the byte->bit conversion).
>
> That said, I can't think of a distro which would need 17G, but if one
> were to put multiple distros on?
>
> Also, a DVD can be shared, thus effectively increasing its transfer rate
> by 100% every time it gets passed on.  Assuming one is using FOSS of
> course, otherwise, well, it can't be shared.  Probably.
>

>>> My "eat it, M$" chide
>>> was about Redmond's inability to do anything approaching this.
>>>
>>> I've never farted around with e.g. BartPE
>>> but my understanding is that (because of the Windoze Registry)
>>> it has to be built for a specific box
>>> and won't work when booted on a different box.
>>
>> BarfPEE [sic] is another case of catchup. Then there's the USB installer
>> for Vista 7 [sic], which was GPL software that Microsoft used illegally.
>>

> Now there's a surprise.

Plurk was probably worse. They pulled their code illegally and might still
be sued for damages (they probably try to keep a settlement secret at the moment,
for PR reasons).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 2  Nov 17 02:36