[News] Ubuntu Beginners Manual to be Released, More Ubuntu News

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Beginners Manual to be Released, More Ubuntu News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:45:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu Beginners Manual Coming With Lucid Lynx?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu wiki points out that a new
| complete beginners manual for Ubuntu is on
| its way. The manual will include
| information on anything you need to know
| after installing Ubuntu and very useful
| how-to's for beginners, all written in a
| user-friendly way in a PDF file.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/official-ubuntu-beginners-manual-coming.html

Well, THAT was ugly ...

,----[ Quote ]
| An on-line friend suggested downloading
| Ubuntu Linux, burning a boot CD for that
| and starting up up under a run-time
| instance of that ... it worked well enough
| that I was able to rescue my files (such
| as my "TheJobStalker" folder!).
`----

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/job-stalker/2010/01/well-that-was-ugly.html

7 Things Microsoft Must Do In 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows has gotten too expensive to
| compete with virtually free offerings from
| Linux vendors like Ubuntu, which is
| gaining ground in the ultra low-cost
| netbook space.
|
| Dell, for instance, now offers the Ubuntu-
| based Inspiron Mini netbook starting at
| $299 -- a price that is less than what one
| copy of Windows 7 Ultimate costs. The fact
| is, most consumers no longer care what OS
| their PC uses, as long it's priced right
| and they can reliably send e-mail, surf
| the Web, and get to their Facebook page.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/reviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222002863

Zylog To Usher In Low-cost Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai, India, 30 December 2009 â Now,
| Desktop as a Service (DaaS), similar to
| Software as a Service (SaaS), for low-cost
| personal computers (PCs), which can be
| nearly 60 per cent cheaper than the
| conventional Windows-based PCs, is the in-
| thing.
|
| [...]
|
| Chennai-based Zylog Systems Ltd has
| partnered with IBM and Canonical Ubuntu to
| offer the DaaS-enabled Desktop Computer
| Services called âPowerCube', which was
| launched recently in the US to address the
| needs for low-cost computing.
`----

http://www.prlog.org/10474552-zylog-to-usher-in-lowcost-computing.html

Streamlined media

,----[ Quote ]
| So, first start off by installing uShare
| on your Ubuntu system. Open up your
| terminal screen and type the following:
| sudo apt-get install ushare
`----

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/577812-streamlined-media

Buying a Dell Ubuntu Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| System76, Zareason and Dell all provide
| solid options.  In the end, however, I
| ended up choosing a Latitude 2100 netbook
| from Dellâs education and business lineâ
| which was not among my initial
| considerations but was brought to my
| attention by readers.
`----