[News] APRIL Complains About European Commission's Surrender to Microsoft Patent Racket

  • Subject: [News] APRIL Complains About European Commission's Surrender to Microsoft Patent Racket
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:29:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The European Commission curtails Microsoft's abuse of dominance

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission announced Wednesday,
| December 16th, 2009 that they had accepted
| the commitments offered by Microsoft for
| users to freely choose their web browser when
| installing Microsoft Windows1. This
| represents a step towards reducing the number
| of abuses of dominance by Microsoft however,
| the Commission's challenge is far from over.
|
| This announcement is supposed to end the
| several-year-conflict opposing the European
| Commission and Microsoft regarding the
| bundling of Microsoft's Internet Explorer
| browser with the Windows operating system.
`----

http://www.april.org/en/the-european-commission-curtails-microsofts-abuse-dominance

Recent:

Microsoft's interoperability pledge not free enough for Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| The agreement between the European Commission
| and Microsoft announced last Wednesday did not
| mention "Free Software" by name. There is no
| corporation or partnership by that name, at
| least not officially, though up until the
| resolution of the dispute last week, there had
| been occasional hints from outgoing
| Commissioner for Competition Neelie Kroes that
| any agreement with Microsoft must take "free"
| into account, almost as though it were "Free
| Software, Ltd."
|
| It's a very serious issue for many European
| developers, as Free Software had been treated
| as a worthy-of-all-caps entity in drafts of
| the European Interoperability Framework from
| last year. But recent discussions on revising
| the EIF have included suggestions from many
| sources, including a controversial one from
| the Polish government, that strike references
| to Free Software as a legal entity, especially
| as one that deserves equal protection as a
| limited legal body.
|
| Thus the omission of reference to FS or FOSS
| from last week's agreement drew a harsh
| warning from Free Software Foundation Europe
| (FSFE), one of the only entities to criticize
| the agreement for legal, as opposed to
| technical or operational, reasons.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsofts-interoperability-pledge-not-free-enough-for-Free-Software/1261426816

Linux Community to Redmond - Do The Right Thing.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/11/linux-community-to-redmond-do-right.html