[News] [Rival] Microsoft Insists on Illegal Patents in the UK (Software Patents)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Insists on Illegal Patents in the UK (Software Patents)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:31:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Treading the thin line between Free, Proprietary and Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Furthermore, whilst Microsoft may be
| making concessions to open source and are
| happy to play with open source when it
| suits their needs they are also willing to
| use other methods where it best suits
| their business. For example, on patents
| Darren Strange (Head of Open Source
| Engagement, Microsoft UK) says âPatents
| drive innovation and they drive openness
| actually.â
`----

http://osswatch.jiscinvolve.org/2010/01/04/treading-the-thin-line-between-free-proprietary-and-open-source-software/

Microsoft: an end to open hostilities?

,----[ Quote ]
| Indeed, at least as far as IP is
| concerned, Darren Strange, Head of Open
| Source Engagement, Microsoft UK, maintains
| that the company is right to continue to
| argue strongly for the value of software
| patents as part of the innovation process
| and that companies need the protection of
| intellectual property rights in order to
| feel secure in their investment in
| research and development. He says: 'It is
| an important area and I think people kind
| of get it the wrong way around a little
| bit â patents are a good thing and they
| help to fuel the industry. Patents drive
| innovation and they drive openness
| actually, and they drive an industry where
| people can then build on those patents in
| a legal way, everyone mutually respecting
| the same rules. We need to use patents to
| drive innovation and we can do that just
| as well with open source vendors.' He
| argues that a mutual respect for such
| rights will allow everyone, including open
| source developers, to work and flourish
| together.
`----

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/microsoft.xml