[News] Censorship and Other Internet Abuse in the UK, France, Chicago

  • Subject: [News] Censorship and Other Internet Abuse in the UK, France, Chicago
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 10:53:49 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Nominet disconnected 1,000 sites with no court oversight

,----[ Quote ]
| The body responsible for the .uk internet
| addresses disconnected over 1,200 websites
| without any oversight from a court. The
| much-publicised action last month was
| based only on police assertions about
| criminal activity on the sites.
|
| Two Nominet executives have told
| technology law podcast OUT-LAW Radio that
| it severed the connection between 1,219
| domain names and the sites that lay behind
| them without the kind of court order that
| web hosting companies would usually
| demand.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/08/nominet_disconnection/

France Considers 'Right To Forget' Law, Apparently Not Realizing The Internet Never Forgets

,----[ Quote ]
| Yeah. Like that will work. Trying to
| suppress information online doesn't work,
| no matter what law you put in place. I'm
| reminded of the convicted German murderer,
| who is demanding that information on his
| conviction be removed from Wikipedia under
| a similar type of law. All that did was
| call a lot more attention to the story.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100108/0403077673.shtml

Chicago Prosecutor's Office Leaks Old, Unsubstantiated, Discredited Internal Memo To Smear Innocence Project Founder

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, we wrote about the rather
| troubling situation in Chicago, involving
| prosecutors who were given information
| from the famed Medill Innocence Project
| (which consist of journalism students who
| examine potential wrongful conviction
| cases) indicating a wrongful conviction.
| Rather than use the new evidence, the
| prosecutors began a campaign against the
| Innocence Project subpoenaing a ton of
| information that has no bearing on the
| case whatsoever, but seem designed to
| intimidate the journalism students.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100107/0422577653.shtml

Recent:

It's official: Blogging is a dangerous business

,----[ Quote ]
| On the journalistic front, the raw figures
| speak for themselves: in 2009, 76 were killed
| (vs. 60 in 2008), 33 were kidnapped, 573 were
| arrested and 1456 physically assaulted. The
| most dangerous places to be a journalist were
| war zones and disputed elections.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/07/blogging_report/

Perfect Pitch Accused Of DMCA Abuse To Censor Criticism

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Scott points us to yet another
| (yes, another) case of copyfraud, where
| someone sends a DMCA takedown notice to
| stop criticism, rather than actual
| infringement. In this case, the party
| accused of misusing the DMCA in this manner
| (which is illegal) is whoever is behind the
| website PerfectPitch.com, who offers a fee-
| based training program that is supposed to
| help people learn to have (surprise,
| surprise) perfect pitch.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091103/1839446788.shtml

Auditor General Wields Crown Copyright To Demand Takedown

,----[ Quote ]
| Crown copyright concerns were raised
| repeatedly during this summer's copyright
| consultation as many groups expressed the
| view that government works should be
| treated as public domain.  The issue
| generated some surprise from Industry
| Minister Tony Clement, who asked for
| examples about why crown copyright was a
| problem.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4514/125/

EFF Warns Texas Instruments to Stop Harassing Calculator Hobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) warned
| Texas Instruments (TI) today not to pursue its
| baseless legal threats against calculator
| hobbyists who blogged about potential
| modifications to the company's programmable
| graphing calculators.
|
| TI's calculators perform a "signature check"
| that allows only approved operating systems to
| be loaded onto the hardware. But researchers
| were able to reverse-engineer signing keys,
| allowing tinkers to install custom operating
| systems and unlock new functionality in the
| calculators' hardware. In response to this
| discovery, TI unleashed a torrent of demand
| letters claiming that the anti-circumvention
| provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright
| Act (DMCA) required the hobbyists to take down
| commentary about and links to the keys. EFF
| represents three men who received such letters.
`----

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/10/13

Ralph Lauren And Its Lawyers Discover The Streisand Effect On Bogus DMCA Takedown

,----[ Quote ]
| Boing Boing put up a post about it, along with the tag
| line "Dude, her head's bigger than her pelvis." While
| some have questioned whether the ad is even real, one
| thing is clear: Ralph Lauren was not pleased. The
| company's lawyers at Greenberg Traurig sent DMCA takedown
| notices concerning both posts. Despite Blogger's new DMCA
| policy, Google still quickly took down the post at
| Photoshop Disasters, causing the site to ask whether or
| not Ralph Lauren or its lawyers have ever heard of the
| Streisand Effect (yay). BoingBoing's host, however,
| doesn't automatically take content down and passed along
| the info to BoingBoing, who quickly pointed out that this
| was clearly fair use (commentary, criticism, etc.) and
| the DMCA takedown wasn't being used to stop infringing
| content, but to stifle speech.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091006/2245076436.shtml

EFF: Chamber of Commerce Takes Aim at Yes Men

,----[ Quote ]
| Attorneys for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
| have issued a takedown notice in an attempt
| to silence a parody website that was posted
| in support of the Yes Men's embarrassing
| prank poking fun at the Chamber's stance on
| climate change legislation.
|
| In a letter sent to the Chamber's attorneys
| today, the Electronic Frontier Foundation
| (EFF) demands that the baseless claims be
| withdrawn immediately.
`----

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/10/22

Chamber Of Commerce Sues Yes Men; Someone Just Gave Protestors A Lot More Attention

,----[ Quote ]
| While we weren't sure that the EFF was
| correct in suggesting the Yes Men's fake
| U.S. Chamber of Commerce website was a
| parody, we did think that it was rather
| short-sighted of the CoC to try to takedown
| the site, since it would only serve to give
| the Yes Men and their anti-CoC campaign more
| attention.
`----

http://vannevar.blogspot.com/2009/10/windows-7-trust-me.html

Latest Bogus DMCA Takedown Sent By NPR?