[News] Intellectual Monopolies Applies to One's Photons, ACTA Conspiracy Under More Pressure

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Applies to One's Photons, ACTA Conspiracy Under More Pressure
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 10:55:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Vanessa Hudgens Claims Copyright in DÃcolletÃe Images of Herself

,----[ Quote ]
| Generally speaking, the subject of a
| photograph does not have copyrights
| therein. These accrue to the photographer,
| unless there is a contract to the
| contrary.
|
| Actress Vanessa Hudgens has apparently
| been shocked to find full frontal, nude
| images of herself on the Internet,
| specifically on the site of
| moejackson.com, but as tends to happen
| with such things, the images are already
| available more widely.
`----

http://blog.ipfactor.co.il/2009/12/28/vanessa-hudgens-claims-copyright-in-decolletee-images-of-herself/

Senator Demands IP Treaty Details

,----[ Quote ]
| That a U.S. senator must ask a federal
| agency to share information regarding a
| proposed and âclassifiedâ international
| anti-counterfeiting accord the government
| has already disclosed is alarming.
| Especially when the info has been given to
| Hollywood, the recording industry,
| software makers and even some digital-
| rights groups.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/senator-demands-details/

TransLink's new copyright deal means fee hike for buskers

,----[ Quote ]
| Buskers at SkyTrain stations in Vancouver
| are about to get an Olympic-sized price
| hike as TransLink negotiates a deal with
| the Society of Composers, Music Publishers
| and Authors of Canada - the Canadian body
| that collects licensing fees on
| copyrighted music.
|
| The arrangement, set to be finalized by
| Feb. 1, will cost the transit service $880
| per station per year and the hefty price
| hike will almost certainly result in
| higher licensing fees for buskers. Right
| now, TransLink buskers pay an annual
| licence fee of $75.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/translinks-new-copyright-deal-means-fee-hike-for-buskers/article1421773/

Recent:

First 2010 Google D.C. Talk on ACTA: the global treaty that could reshape the Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| The panel will tackle important questions
| like:  Will ACTA preserve the existing
| balance in intellectual property laws,
| providing not just enforcement for
| copyright holders but also appropriate
| exceptions for technology creators and
| users? Will it undermine the legal safe
| harbors that have allowed virtually every
| Internet service to come into existence?
| And will it encourage governments to
| endorse "three strikes" penalties that
| would take away a user's access to the
| Internet?
`----

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2010/01/first-2010-google-dc-talk-on-acta.html

UK Gov't On ACTA: Lack of Transparency Not In the Public Interest

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government discusses the lack of
| transparency in an EU access to
| information request:
|
| "More broadly with respect to ACTA the UK
| considers that transparency is crucial to
| ensure the legitimacy of the agreement and
| to stop the spread of rumours. We believe
| the lack of transparency is unhelpful and
| do not believe that it is in the public
| interest."
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4657/196/

Marshall interview on ACTA with the Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| An unnamed official from the Commission
| responds to good and deep ACTA questions
| from journalist Rosalie Marshall.
|
| They say the secrecy of the mandate of the
| EU-Commission is crucial:
|
|     We canât make the mandate public
|     because it defines the limits of where
|     the EU is prepared to go with the
|     agreement. If it is made public and
|     other countries gained access to it
|     they would know how far we will go or
|     not go with the negotiations. This
|     could make their tasks a lot easier.
|     Itâs like if you are buying a used car
|     and you already know how low the
|     seller will go with the price.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/marshall-interview-on-acta-with-the-commission/

DOJ Recommends FCC Quickly Free up More Spectrum

,----[ Quote ]
| Supporting existing and new wireless
| broadband providers is key to encouraging
| broadband competition, the U.S. Department
| of Justice advised the U.S. Federal
| Communications Commission on Monday.
|
| In a filing submitted in response to an
| FCC request for comments on its national
| broadband plan, the DOJ said that it's
| unrealistic to try to promote "textbook
| markets of perfect competition" since the
| provision of broadband services is so
| costly. "Rather, promoting competition is
| likely to take the form of enabling
| additional entry and expansion by wireless
| broadband providers," among other
| activities, the DOJ wrote.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185815/doj_recommends_fcc_quickly_free_up_more_spectrum.html?tk=rss_news

And the draft of the ACTA reply to me in English

,----[ Quote ]
| So here is a Council draft document in
| English to the reply to my secondary
| request for document access related to an
| ACTA criminal provisions document.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/and-the-draft-of-the-acta-reply-to-me-in-english/

ACTA secondary application answered