Re: [News] Censorship and Other Internet Abuse in the UK, France, Chicago

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 15 Jan 2010 19:15 : \____

>> Why Nominet disconnected 1,000 sites with no court oversight
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The body responsible for the .uk internet
>>| addresses disconnected over 1,200 websites
>>| without any oversight from a court. The
>>| much-publicised action last month was
>>| based only on police assertions about
>>| criminal activity on the sites.
>>|
>>| Two Nominet executives have told
>>| technology law podcast OUT-LAW Radio that
>>| it severed the connection between 1,219
>>| domain names and the sites that lay behind
>>| them without the kind of court order that
>>| web hosting companies would usually
>>| demand.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/08/nominet_disconnection/
>>

> How can this possibly happen?  At what point did all the rights go to
> people making "assertions"?  This is absolutely wrong.
>
> It's not taking the present government very long to dismantle the key
> freedoms of Magna Carta, is it?
>
> Next thing someone'll be after my turnip :-)

Last year there was the Killer Virgin  fiasco that blocked the whole
of WIkipedia for some -- all because of some album cover with a girl.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 2  Nov 17 02:36