[News] Google Puts Its GNU/Linux Projects on Desktops

  • Subject: [News] Google Puts Its GNU/Linux Projects on Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:31:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Campbell: Google OS as a new netbook computer

,----[ Quote ]
| There is much afoot regarding netbooks, as
| they continue to evolve and find their
| place in the computer world.
|
| People criticize and laud netbooks in
| seemingly equal proportions. Some say they
| are inexpensive and provide just enough
| processing power for the average user.
`----

http://www.pittnews.com/article/2010/01/20/campbell-google-os-new-netbook-computer

Chrome OS gets faster Zero build

,----[ Quote ]
| Chromium hacker Hexxeh has released a
| faster, USB-bootable build of Google's
| Chrome OS called Chromium OS Zero. Meanwhile,
| ArsTechnica interviewed Google's
| Engineering Director for Chrome OS, Matthew
| Papakipos, regarding the past and future of
| Chrome OS.
|
| Hexxeh's final build of Chromium OS Zero
| follows earlier, well-regarded releases of
| versions including Chromium OS Diet and
| Cherry. Based on the open source Linux
| Chromium code that Google began to release
| in late November, with the goal of
| releasing a final Chrome OS for netbooks
| later this year, Chromium OS Zero promises
| major speed improvements "for many users,"
| according to Hexxeh's blog announcement.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Hexxeh-Chromium-OS-Zero/?kc=rss

Android-x86 1.6 Screenshots

http://www.my-seo-company.com/index.php?linux&release=Android-x86%201.6

Run Android on Your PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we are proud to announce a new
| operating system, a port of Google's famous
| Android platform for the x86 (32-bit)
| architecture. Simply named Android-x86,
| this Live CD Linux distribution is designed
| mostly for the Eee PC netbooks, but can
| also run on any other 32-bit (x86)
| platform. The current stable version of
| Android-x86 is based on Android 1.6 (Donut)
| and it's powered by Linux kernel 2.6.29
| with kernel mode-setting (or KMS for short)
| enabled. It has support for the EXT3, EXT2,
| NTFS and FAT32 filesystems, and can be run
| directly from the CD (yes, no installation
| required)! But, if you like it and you want
| to install it on your hard drive or on a
| USB stick, we have a short tutorial for you
| at the end of the article.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Run-Android-for-Your-PC-132652.shtml

Recent:

Google Chrome OS due next week, says someone

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will offer downloads of its Chrome
| operating system any day now, according to
| an internet rumor.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/google_chrome_os_rumor/

Google Chrome OS May Be Here Very Soon

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/11/13/google-chrome-os-may-be-here-very-soon

Rumor: Google Greasing Chrome OS for Launch

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68647.html?wlc=1258190753

Chrome OS about to launch - reports

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/top-stories/430757/chrome-os-about-to-launch-reports

Google Chrome OS coming next weekâmaybe

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2009/11/14/google-chrome-os-coming-next-weekmaybe/

5 Entertaining Chrome OS Fakes

,----[ Quote ]
| What's interesting is that it actually came as
| a package for Ubuntu which could indicate that
| Chrome OS might be some variation of Ubuntu.
`----

http://chromehelpforums.com/thread-121-post-123.html#pid123

Want That Early Chrome OS Build? You Got It.

,----[ Quote ]
| Frederickson has placed the files he downloaded
| a few days ago on a Rapidshare account for
| anyone to access. You can find them here.
|
| Will Google be pleased about this? Probably not,
| considering they removed the files from the
| Chromium folder shortly after our post. But
| whatever, it's open source, yo.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/14/want-that-early-chrome-os-build-you-got-it/

Huge anticipation for Google's Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/huge-anticipation-for-google-s-chrome-os-647890