[News] New Details About Google's GNU/Linux Distribution

  • Subject: [News] New Details About Google's GNU/Linux Distribution
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:08:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google's Chrome OS to include a media player

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has confirmed that its upcoming
| lightweight, browser-centric Chrome OS
| operating system will include a built-in
| media player. In an interview with
| ArsTechnica, Matthew Papakipos, the
| engineering director for the Chrome OS
| project, says that the developers are
| currently working on "integrating a whole
| media player into Chrome and into Chrome
| OS". The Chrome browser, for example,
| already includes support for Flash and HTML5
| audio and video playback, however, users
| also need to be able to "play JPEGs and MP3s
| and PDFs and all that stuff when you're off
| line" said Papakipos.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Google-s-Chrome-OS-to-include-a-media-player-911475.html

Google's Chrome OS: Tomorrow's Desktop Today?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometime in 2010, Google will release Chrome
| OS, its take on a netbook operating system.
| It will be far more than just that though.
| It's an entirely new take on the desktop
| operating system. While a final version is
| still months away from release there's
| already enough of Chrome available that we
| can begin to see what it's going to look
| like.
|
| [...]
|
| You also won't need to be on the Internet to
| view or play some media files. We already
| know that Chrome OS will be able to read
| Adobe PDF files and play Adobe Flash videos.
| Now, we know that Google is integrating a
| media player into Chrome OS that will play
| at least MP3 music files. It will surely
| play other media file types as well, but
| exactly what those will be we don't know
| yet. We do know that you won't need to be on
| the Internet to play them. So, for example,
| if you have an MP4 movie on a USB stick,
| you'll be able to watch it even if you're
| not online. Again, the intent isn't to have
| you click on a movie file and have a media
| player pop-up to play it. Instead, the movie
| will start playing in a browser window.
| Chrome OS is all about integrating
| everything into the Web browser experience.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/93787/googles-chrome-os-tomorrows-desktop-today

Web apps vs desktop apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Things to watch:
|
|     * Google Native Client
|     * Google Chrome OS
|     * HTML5
|
| Iâm sure there will be a lot of exciting events this year. Google
| is planning to release a simple OS centered around web browsing and
| web apps. It is intended for netbooks, but will surely impact the web
| platform, by proving that the shift towards the web apps is already
| happening today.
`----

http://valums.com/web-apps/

Platform Independent

,----[ Quote ]
| The sugar on top comes through with web applications. No matter what platform
| I am running there are many online application suites that promise to bring us
| OS independent applications. Google and Microsoft are both working on this, and
| in the future we can expect
| more of it. What does this mean?
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/01/platform-independent.html

Recent:

Google talks Chrome OS, HTML5, and the future of software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/01/chrome-os-interview-1.ars