[News] Intellectual Monopolies Suffer More Losses, World Evolves

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Suffer More Losses, World Evolves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:41:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Strike on site

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine a time when you wonât have to leave
| your bedroom to catch a new filmâs
| premiere. For foreign fans of Bollywood
| movies, that time is now. Striker, the
| Bollywood flick that features Siddharth
| (Rang De Basanti fame) and Aditya Pancholi,
| will be released simultaneously in theatres
| as well as on popular video broadcasting
| site YouTube.
| The option to view it online, however, is
| limited only to international audiences.
| Incidentally, the rough cut of filmmaker
| Sudeep Mishraâs film Tera Kya Hoga Johnny
| was leaked on the same site earlier this
| month.

ISP Stops Suspending Accounts On Copyright Accusations

,----[ Quote ]
| Following iiNetâs huge win over anti-piracy
| group AFACT, Aussie ISP Exetel has taken
| steps to soften its copyright infringement
| notice procedures and will no longer
| suspend accounts on mere accusations.
| On February 4th, Australian Internet
| service provider iiNet won its court battle
| against several Hollywood studios.

Judge Jeopardizes Anti-Piracy Cash Operation

,----[ Quote ]
| DigiProtect has shot itself and its
| business model in the foot during a recent
| court hearing. The notorious anti-piracy
| outfit refused to open its books for
| scrutiny during a case where it claimed
| compensation against a file-sharer. The
| judge consequently ruled that the defendant
| didnât have to pay the majority of the
| claim against him.

Pirate boss to make the web pay

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the founders of the Pirate Bay is
| kicking off a venture that aims to help
| websites generate cash.
| Called Flattr, the micropayments system
| revolves around members paying a fixed
| monthly fee.

Care about "balanced copyright"? Let the US government know

,----[ Quote ]
| The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) is no model of transparency, and the
| word is finally getting out. This week, the
| New York Times dug into the "secret"
| meetings, coming back with nearly nothing
| new (itself a pretty good indicator of just
| how "transparent" the negotiating process
| has been).

Greens push for transparency on secret anti-piracy talks

,----[ Quote ]
| Greens Senator Scott Ludlam has called on
| Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs
| and Trade (DFAT) to take details of
| international anti-piracy negotiations
| public.

Blockbuster files for bankruptcy in Portugal, blames internet piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't start lining up the global dominos
| just yet but Blockbuster is filing for
| bankruptcy in Portugal.

Google's High Speed Internet Gambit

,----[ Quote ]
| A 1 Gbps service could let a user download
| a full 1080p High-Def movie in mere minutes
| and is more than 1000 times faster than
| AT&T's basic DSL offering.
| If entertainment conglomerates are waging
| the current fight they are now, just try to
| imagine what will the landscape look like
| 10 years from now if Google's efforts
| materialize.

Iceland's paper of record bans linking

,----[ Quote ]
| MorgunblaÃiÃ, Iceland's oldest newspaper
| and most-visited website (now co-edited by
| the former prime minister and head of the
| central bank) has just announced an anti
| "deep linking" policy saying that
| Icelanders aren't allowed to link to
| individual pages on the site, only the
| front door.

Remix Culture Is About The Culture As Much As The Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| What he points out is that for culture to
| matter, it goes beyond the artwork itself,
| to the people who experience the artwork
| and then share it with others -- thereby
| connecting with each other and the artwork
| itself. And while people sit back and claim
| that remixing is "stealing" or "lazy" or
| "not art" at all, that's totally missing
| the point. Art is not about just the
| creator. Without the shared experience,
| it's a lot less valuable -- and what we've
| done with copyright laws is make it that
| much more difficult to share that
| experience through our own eyes and our own
| cultural views. And if you don't see the
| shame in that, then you're missing a lot.

Google: "Buzz" Is Not a Trademarked Term

,----[ Quote ]
| "We chose the name Buzz because of the
| word's connotations of activity,
| conversations, sharing of information,"
| Google's Victoria Katsarou tells
| WebProNews. "'Buzz' is not a trademarked
| term."

NBCU Fights Olympics Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| After boasting of streaming more than 2,200
| hours of live video during the Summer
| Olympics in 2008, the network will only
| stream hockey and curling events live on
| the Web this yearâroughly 400 hours of
| video. That means if American favorites
| like skier Lindsey Vonn or snowboarder
| Shaun White are competing in a crucial race
| during the day, fans not in front of a TV
| will not be able to watch those events.

Author's Guild Didn't Want To 'Pull An RIAA' But Still Misses The Point

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, in discussing its attempt to
| settle its lawsuit with Google over the
| Google book scanning project, the Authors
| Guild posted a rather interesting public
| letter, entitled To RIAA or Not to RIAA,
| That was the Question. In defending the
| settlement, it notes that it could have
| fought the lawsuit to the end, but that it
| might have lost. In fact, this is why I
| supported the idea that Google should have
| fought on, because it seemed like Google
| had a strong fair use case -- something the
| Authors Guild admits. Even though the
| Authors Guild says that it disagrees that
| the book scanning project was fair use, an
| awful lot of copyright legal scholars
| seemed to believe that it was, in fact,
| fair use.

Understanding What's Scarce And What's Not...

,----[ Quote ]
| A bunch of folks sent over Jeff Jarvis'
| recent blog post entitled stop selling
| scarcity, which I actually think is
| slightly misleading. If you read the
| details, he's actually saying that you
| should very much sell scarcities -- but
| that you should avoid pretending that
| you're selling a scarcity when you're
| really selling something that it infinitely
| available:
|     If you are selling a scarcity -- an
|     inventory -- of any nonphysical goods
|     today, stop, turn around, and start
|     selling value -- outcomes -- instead.
|     Or you're screwed. Apply this rule to
|     many enterprises: advertising, media,
|     content, information, education,
|     consultation, and to some extent,
|     performance.

Getting some hard data on piracy and its effects â sometimes it sells books

Mandelson in new move to protect music industry secrets

,----[ Quote ]
| UK Digital Economy Bill: The infamous Henry
| VIII clause  which will permit the
| Secretary of State to re-write UK copyright
| law without oversight from Parliament, will
| also permit the copyright industries to
| keep their trade secrets, under a proposed
| new amendment from Lord Mandelson.

Economics and social research strategy 2009-10 published

,----[ Quote ]
| By ensuring that our policies are clear,
| transparent, targeted and evidence-based we
| can create the right conditions for
| business success; promote innovation,
| enterprise and science; and give everyone
| the skills and opportunities they need to
| succeed.

Web giants unite against Digital Britain copyright plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook, Google, Yahoo and eBay object to
| a clause that they say could give
| government "unprecedented and sweeping
| powers" to amend copyright laws.

Mandelson's law pasted by web giants

,----[ Quote ]
| LORD PETER Mandelson's Digital Economy Bill
| has been slammed by some of the biggest
| names on the web.
| What has miffed the likes of Facebook,
| Google, Yahoo and Ebay is a clause which
| gives the government "unprecedented and
| sweeping powers" to amend copyright laws as
| it likes.

Yes, But Will Sergey Brin Take Peter Mandelson Out To Dinner At A Fancy Resort?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm beginning to wonder if this particular
| clause is being used to draw away the fire
| from the "three strikes and we kick you off
| the internet" clause. With the big tech
| companies focused on this ridiculous power
| grab by the Business Secretary, not nearly
| as much attention is being paid to that
| "guilty based on accusations" clause.

BREAKING: Leaked UK government plan to create "Pirate Finder General" with power to appoint militias, create laws

,----[Quote  ]
| A source close to the British Labour
| Government has just given me reliable
| information about the most radical copyright
| propoQuotesal I've ever seen.
| Secretary of State Peter Mandelson is
| planning to introduce changes to the Digital
| Economy Bill now under debate in Parliament.
| These changes will give the Secretary of
| State (Mandelson -- or his successor in the
| next government) the power to make
| "secondary legislation" (legislation that is
| passed without debate) to amend the
| provisions of Copyright, Designs and Patents
| Act (1988).

Dictatorial, disastrous, dire: Mandelson must not pass

,----[ Quote ]
| The powers that he wants to create - by
| means of a statutory instrument, which
| bypasses Parliamentary debate and decision -
| will criminalise downloading of content
| without permission. They will give him or
| anyone he chooses the power to enforce by
| law any action he or his successor thinks
| fit, in the service of protecting copyright.

Questions for Lord Mandelson

,----[ Quote ]
| The bill includes a provision for
| unappointed, unelected, monopoly collecting
| societies to "assume a mandate to collect
| fees on behalf of rights holders who have
| not specifically signed up to that society."
| Why should doing this be considered anything
| less than criminally defrauding the people
| these fees will be collected from and
| stealing copyright (in the true sense of
| claiming ownership, not the way it is
| misused as a synonym for infringement)?
| Why does the government see file sharing as
| both so trivial that it can be dealt with by
| just sending a letter and simultaneously so
| serious that it warrants the imposition of a
| new Â50,000 fine?

Mandelson's Madness

,----[ Quote ]
| This is penalising every other industry, and
| every online user, for the sake of one,
| congenitally lazy sector that has fought
| every new technology for the last century on
| the basis that it will âdestroyâ its
| business model, and âruinâ it. Of course,
| just as every new technology turned out to
| be a new opportunity for those self-same
| companies once they were forced to work with
| it rather than against, so file-sharing will
| enable a host of new business models. Until
| that point, though, if the current proposals
| go through, we will all be paying the price
| for this unjustifiable preferential
| treatment.

British Government Goes Batshit Insane Over Internet

Filesharing laws to hit websites and newsgroups too

,----[ Quote ]
| The government is planning to award itself
| powers to change copyright law almost at
| will, in expectation that new anti-peer-to-
| peer laws will drive infringement to other
| services such as Rapidshare and newsgroups.
| The measure, which is the most severe
| contained in the Digital Economy Bill
| published today, will be interpreted as a
| major victory for rights holder
| organisations. It will grant the Business
| Secretary Lord Mandelson and his successors
| undprecedented control over civil
| enforcement of copyright.

Mandelson seeks to amend copyright law in new crackdown on filesharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord Mandelson is seeking to amend the laws
| on copyright to give the government
| sweeping new powers against people accused
| of illegal downloading.

Mandelson to get Nominet reform powers

,----[ Quote ]
| Ministers have revealed new legislation
| that will allow the government to take over
| and reform Nominet, following a boardroom
| battle over the .uk registry's future.
| The reserve powers are included in the
| Digital Economy Bill, published today by
| Lord Mandelson's Department for Business.

TalkTalk threatens legal action over Mandelson's filesharing plan

,----[ Quote ]
| TalkTalk, the second largest internet
| service provider in the UK, has threatened
| to launch legal action if business secretary
| Peter Mandelson follows through with his
| plan to cut off persistent illegal
| filesharers' internet connections.

ISP's attack government anti-filesharing tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| THE UK'S TOP Internet service providers have
| opposed Business Secretary Lord Peter
| Mandelson's daft plan to cut off persistent
| illegal filesharers' Internet connections.
| Talktalk has even said that it feels the
| scheme infringes upon people's rights and it
| will be happy to go to court to have it
| struck down.

Mandelson and âThree Strikesâ: Not So Much âDark Lordâ...

,----[ Quote ]
| Unjust, because it allows the media
| industries to function as prosecutor, judge
| and jury, with only minimal oversight by
| proper legal authorities; unjust because it
| cuts people off from what is fast becoming a
| necessity of modern life, as the UK
| government itself is promoting; unjust
| because it penalises an entire family for
| the alleged actions of one member: something
| that in war would amount to a
| disproportionate and vindictive act of
| reprisal - a war-crime, in fact.
| It is unworkable because it will be almost
| impossible to tell whether copyrighted
| material is being transmitted legally or
| not; and ultimately it is unworkable because
| people will simply start encrypting material
| before downloading.

Mandy confirms he'll cut off filesharers

,----[ Quote ]
| Labour's plan is that the music industry
| will monitor what people are downloading,
| and on their say-so (not in any court of
| law), internet subscribers will receive two
| warning letters and then have their internet
| access cut off. The music industry will not
| have to prove that the subscribers have
| being doing anything wrong; instead
| Mandelson's plan is that they will act as
| judge, jury and executioner. And it's not
| just the subscriber who will be cut off,
| their whole household will be too; this
| collective punishment, if done in wartime,
| would be a war crime under the Geneva
| Convention.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to abolish the proposed law that will see alleged illegal filesharers disconnected from their broadband connections, without a fair trial.

Parliamentary Comms Group Says âNoâ to UK 3-Strikes

,----[ Quote ]
| An increasing death-knell is sounding for Lord
| Mandelsonâs proposals for 3-strikes Internet
| disconnections. The latest blow comes from the All Party
| Parliamentary Communications Group. After a consultation
| earlier this year, they have now published their
| response, and itâs not one favorable to âDarth Mandyâ
| and his plans.

U.K. Minister Defends Internet Suspension In MPAA Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, a joint statement from the Featured Artists Coalition, the British
| Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors (BASCA) and the Music Producers
| Guild also condemns the plan.

Lammy appeals to film and music industries to help tackle online piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Lammy cites apparent inconsistencies in copyright law, citing the example of
| a CD owner who wants a copy on his MP3 player. "Is he breaking the rules or
| just refusing to be ripped off?"
| "Something isn't right with copyright. Not just in the UK but as a whole. And
| I want to do something about that," he says.

An open letter to Lord Mandelson

,----[ Quote ]
| Your proposal is wrong for purely economic reasons. It is wrong because it
| will stifle a major opportunity for economic growth right at the point where
| we need it most. And it is wrong because as a government your role is not to
| legislate to protect business models but to regulate in a way that balances
| the risks of damage in one sector against the potential for encouraging new
| sectors to develop.

Creative industries and consumersâ rights

,----[ Quote ]
| We hope that the Government will consider genuinely consumersâ rights in its
| endeavours to protect the creative industries.

Good Thoughts on Naughty Lord Mandelson

The Right to Science and Culture

Peter Mandelson Defends His Sudden Conversion To Kicking People Off The

,----[ Quote ]
| You do realize that a UK-based music organization (PRS) recently released a
| report noting that the music industry in the UK is actually growing? Right?
| These are the sort of facts the Secretary of Business knows, right? And if
| the industry is growing, despite complaining about file sharing, isn't it
| possible that the real issue is just focusing on business model improvement,
| rather than the hand of gov't stepping in and slapping people around?

BSA Jumps Onto The Three Strikes Bandwagon

,----[ Quote ]
| More troubling, however, is that when questioned about the new statement by
| Ars Technica, the BSA said it was necessary because "last year our industry
| lost over $50 billion (USD) worldwide." Hmm. It's really quite troubling that
| the BSA still stands by these numbers when they've been debunked so
| thoroughly over and over again. They count the "retail value" of every piece
| of software as being "lost," which is clearly a lie. Five years ago, the
| research company that runs these studies for the BSA, IDG, flat out said that
| the BSA was wrong in claiming that "the retail value" of the software is the
| same as "losses." So why does the BSA continue to get away with claiming it?

UK "Three Strikes": Please Write to Your MP

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I wrote a quick analysis of the insane U-turn effected by the UK
| government over "three strikes and you're out". Below I've posted the
| corresponding letter that I've sent to my MP on the subject.

Fon and Games with "Three Strikes"

,----[ Quote ]
| Suppose, now, that people use some of those million hotspots to download
| copyright material: how easy is it going to be (a) establishing exactly who
| downloaded it and (b) cutting off that person?
| Gives a new meaning to the term "hotspot"...

Lord Mandelson pays off his Â750,000 mortgage within a year

,----[ Quote ]
| The mystery of how Lord Mandelson managed to afford a Â2.4 million town house
| in Regent's Park took a new twist this week with his claim in a newspaper
| interview that he did not possess a mortgage on the property.

38 Degrees backs campaign against âDigital Dictatorâ Mandelson

,----[ Quote ]
| Online campaigners 38 Degrees have launched an attack on Mandelsonâs plans to
| give himself the power to order internet cut-offs without trial. Other
| campaigners from a range of NGOs are getting in touch with us about this:
| there is a growing sense of outrage among people who know that the internet
| is the most important political tool we have.

Taking something for nothing is wrong . . .

,----[ Quote ]
| [by] Peter Mandelson

UK Wants to Zap File-Sharers

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems the British government is going loony for anti-piracy rhetoric from
| the likes of U2 and David Geffen.

Mandelson goes to war on teenagers downloading their music and movies... just
days after dining with anti-piracy billionaire

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord Mandelson launched a crackdown on internet piracy just days after
| meeting a leading Hollywood critic of illegal file sharing.
| The business secretary plans to criminalise the estimated seven million
| people - one in 12 of the population - who illicitly download music and films
| over the internet.

âTaking something for nothing is wrongâ â No, not expenses, data.

,----[ Quote ]