[News] Tanenbaum Proven Wrong About Free Software for Kernel

  • Subject: [News] Tanenbaum Proven Wrong About Free Software for Kernel
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:22:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Herding the Meta-Cats

,----[ Quote ]
| In the famous online argument between Linus
| and Minix creator Andrew Tanenbaum during the
| very early days of Linux, one of the more
| memorable statements from the latter was the
| following:
|
| I think co-ordinating 1000 prima donnas living
| all over the world will be as easy as herding
| cats
|
| The âprima donnasâ that he was referring to
| were hackers, rather than opera singers, and
| his point was that it's hard to get
| technically very able people with strong
| opinions to agree to the point where they can
| move a software project forward. And that,
| indeed, is part of the amazing achievement of
| Linux and all the free software projects that
| have adopted its methodology: without formal
| lines of command or management structures
| being imposed on them, those same prima donnas
| often *do* manage to agree on enough to make
| projects successful well beyond what
| traditional development techniques can
| produce.
|
| So, it turned out that Tanenbaum was wrong as
| far as herding those particular cats was
| concerned, but what about at the next level:
| how easy is it to herd *meta*-cats â that is,
| to get the various projects working together
| in a more coordinated fashion?
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2802&blogid=14

New attempt to integrate AppArmor into Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| John Johansen, a developer with commercial
| Ubuntu sponsor Canonical, has submitted an
| updated version of the AppArmor security
| framework to the Linux kernel developers for
| inspection. Johansen writes that, like the
| SELinux and Tomoyo solutions already
| integrated into the kernel, this fourth
| general posting of AppArmor uses Linux
| Security Modules (LSM) to hook into the
| kernel. Some, but not all of the
| characteristics criticised by the kernel
| developers when AppArmor was posted last have
| reportedly been corrected in the new posting â
| known for his rather direct comments, however,
| the maintainer of the Virtual File System
| (VFS) of Linux soon also found various
| inconsistencies in the newly posted code.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/New-attempt-to-integrate-AppArmor-into-Linux-935911.html

Invoking user-space applications from the kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| Invoking specific kernel functions (system
| calls) is a natural part of application
| development on GNU/Linux. But what about going
| in the other direction, kernel space calling
| user space? It turns out that there are a
| number of applications for this feature that
| you likely use every day. For example, when
| the kernel finds a device for which a module
| needs to be loaded, how does this process
| occur? Dynamic module loading occurs from the
| kernel through the usermode-helper process.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-user-space-apps/index.html

Recent:

Video: Andrew Tanenbaum on Bugs and Minix' Reincarnation Server

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Video-Andrew-Tanenbaum-on-Bugs-and-Minix-Reincarnation-Server