[News] [Rival] Windows is Falling Sharply in Mobiles

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows is Falling Sharply in Mobiles
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:00:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple, Android Surge In Smartphones, Nip At Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's iPhone OS surged past Microsoft
| Windows Mobile to hold the third spot,
| selling nearly 25 million units to nearly
| double its market share. Research In Motion
| kept its second-place standing, adding three
| percentage points to its market share.
`----

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2010/02/nokias_loss_is_apples_gain_in.html

Windows Mobile decline both relative and absolute

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs safe to say 2009 was not a great year
| for Windows Mobile. Not only did its
| smartphone market share slump significantly,
| but it was the only major operating system to
| appear on fewer handsets sold in 2009 than
| 2008.
`----

http://mobile.blorge.com/2010/02/23/windows-mobile-decline-both-relative-and-absolute/

Recent:

Microsoft is charging Windows Mobile developers indefinitely more than Apple and Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Can you believe that? Market share of Windows
| Mobile is sinking like Titanic, and
| competitors have tens of thousands of apps
| (compared to less than one thousand in Windows
| Mobile app store), plenty of which are not
| available at all (!) for Windows Mobile, and
| what is Microsoft doing?
|
| Microsoft is charging Windows Mobile
| developers indefinitely more than Apple and
| Google as you can see in this comparison...
`----

http://mobile.msmobiles.com/news.php?id=8939

Microsoft plays down Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| It isn't the first time that Microsoft has
| missed the boat - it was also a late starter
| in the Internet game - but the company has all
| but dropped the ball with its Windows Mobile
| operating system.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Cellular/11358.html

Microsoft to discontinue Mobile2Market program

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will discontinue Mobile2Market, its
| mobile application certification and
| marketing program for independent software
| and hardware vendors.
`----

http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/microsoft-discontinue-mobile2market-program/2010-01-18

Microsoft Struggles to Extend Desktop Dominance to Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike Windows Mobile, the platform developed
| by a massive cross-industry alliance led by
| Internet giant Google, is based on open
| source Linux software and enables greater
| flexibility for programmers building
| applications and features tailored to
| handsets.
`----

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2010/01/133_58798.html

Windows Mobile 7: Should Microsoft even bother?

,----[ Quote ]
| When looking at all the competitors for
| smartphone supremacy, you might say the
| Windows Mobile is DLF in the rankings
| (although a recent report places it at third
| place). Some would even contend that
| Microsoft would have been better off never
| entering this race if it weren't going to put
| up a good fight. That may shock the 7.2
| million users of the Microsoft smartphone OS,
| especially those in the enterprise who don't
| see the iPhone as a serious contender at all
| (due in part to Apple's history of ignoring
| the needs of the enterprise in favor of the
| individual user).
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/windows-mobile-7-should-microsoft-even-bother-356

Microsoft responds to 2016 SMS bug; not just cell phones affected

,----[ Quote ]
| The saga of the Year 2016 text message bug
| continues. While there's not an official
| fix as of yet we, do have a workaround
| (download here). And we just received an
| official statement from a Microsoft
| spokesperson:
|
|     âMicrosoft is aware of reports that
|     phone messages received after 1/1/2010