[News] [Rival] Microsoft Thugs Are Still Harming ODF

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Thugs Are Still Harming ODF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:01:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Office format 'ballot' leaves competitors unsatisfied

,----[ Quote ]
| Update: Marino Marcich, managing director
| of the ODF Alliance, had this to say via
| email this morning:
|
| The ballot screen, although it may at first
| look like it gives users a fair choice
| between OOXML and ODF, doesn't give ODF a
| fair shake, and it isn't likely to have
| much impact. Not only does the ballot offer
| OOXML as the first option, but more
| significantly, it provides what is
| essentially a warning -- OOXML is
| designated to support "all the features" of
| the software, while ODF is explained to
| enable "many features," but "some content
| or editability may be lost."
|
| At the end of the day, the key issue here
| is the level of ODF support and
| functionality. A ballot is no substitute
| for a quality implementation of the format.
| In this case, a ballot that offers the user
| the choice of ODF in MS Office is only
| significant if the ODF support in MS Office
| is complete, current, and interoperable
| with other ODF applications. Previous
| attempts, in Office 2007 SP2 fell far short
| of this. We have not yet evaluated the
| level of ODF support in Office 2010."
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/02/microsoft_office_format_ballot_leaves_competitors_unsatisfied.html

The other Microsoft ballot screen: Coming to an Office 2010 SKU near you (in Europe)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5331

Up Close: Google Docs Online File Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Because this upload feature is tied into
| Google Docs, the service offers the option
| to convert certain document types. The
| supported formats include HTML, plain text,
| Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint,
| Microsoft Excel, and OpenDocument
| Spreadsheet.
`----