[News] Lightweight GNU/Linux Distribution Help Where PCs Are Seen as Obsolete

  • Subject: [News] Lightweight GNU/Linux Distribution Help Where PCs Are Seen as Obsolete
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:16:43 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Thatâs not bloated, thatâs clinically obese

,----[ Quote ]
| Quite clearly Iâve been working with machines
| with no more than 192Mb for too long. And
| running an entire system on under 20Mb on a
| daily basis has my perspective skewed. So if
| youâre a Gnome user and youâre bristling
| right now, feel free to remind me that my
| expectations are too far gone to make
| comparisons. Tell me I need to move out of
| 1996. Tell me itâs time to look for a real
| desktop, and not a hacked, whacked
| arrangement of console programs on a
| framebuffer screen. Tell me itâs time to face
| reality.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/thats-not-bloated-thats-clinically-obese/

Switching to Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
| I've heard that Slackware has a lot less
| bloat than most other Linux distros, and my
| experience certainly bears that out. Compared
| to Xubuntu, my new Slackware install with
| XFCE is lightning-fast. As of right now I'm
| running slackpkg to update my system and
| while it may not be as flexible and powerful
| as apt, and not have a nice graphical front-
| end, it's perfectly usable and I'm happy with
| it. I'm used to sudo from both Ubuntu and OS
| X so I've set that up, and all in all I'm
| very pleased with my new system.
`----

http://farbeyondtheedgeofreason.blogspot.com/2010/03/switching-to-slackware.html

Recent:

Linux Free Operating Systems â Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva Installations on an Old PC

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=20100301_installing_free_linux_operating_system_ubuntu_debian_mandriva_fedora_on_an_old_pc.htm