[News] Debian Team Gets Vastly More Efficient, Derivative SimplyMEPIS Out Soon

  • Subject: [News] Debian Team Gets Vastly More Efficient, Derivative SimplyMEPIS Out Soon
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:24:22 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Debian Project Pleased with Ten Times Faster Build Server

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian project was given a new server
| from Thomas Krenn AG, Intel and Adaptec for
| its image building. With the Dual-Xeon
| computer the build process was reduced from
| 20 to two hours.
|
| New in Debian's infrastructure is the SC846
| server with a 4-unit height and two Intel
| Xeon E5540 processors. While the previous
| five-year-old system took 20 hours for a
| build, the new one took less than two
| hours, according to the project and its
| benefactor, Thomas Krenn AG, in a joint
| press release.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Debian-Project-Pleased-with-Ten-Times-Faster-Build-Server

RC3 Brings SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Close to Final Release

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS has released SimplyMEPIS 8.5.00, RC3 of
| MEPIS 8.5, now available from MEPIS and public
| mirrors. The ISO files for 32 and 64 bit
| processors are SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.00-
| rc3_32.iso and SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.00-
| rc3_64.iso respectively. Deltas are also
| available.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14245

Recent:

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 RC2 is Available

,----[ Quote ]
| Warren Woodford has released SimplyMEPIS
| 8.4.99, RC2 of MEPIS 8.5, now available
| from MEPIS and public mirrors. The ISO
| files for 32 and 64 bit processors are
| SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.4.99-rc2_32.iso and
| SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.4.99-rc2_64.iso
| respectively. Deltas are also available.
|
| Warren reported: "In the past week, we've
| fixed some bugs reported by the community
| and updated the MEPIS Assistants. And
| we've updated some packages containing bug
| fixes: digikam 1.1.0, ghostscript 8.71,
| kdebase-workspace 4.3.4-5 and wl-modules
| 5.60.48.36. The community is hard at work
| on translations, updated manual, and a
| couple of new utilities. I expect RC3 to
| be ready in a week or so. It should be the
| last RC before we go final with 8.5."
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14244

CeBIT 2010: Debian with BSD Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian developer Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
| presented Debian GNU/kFreeBSD at the Open
| Source Forum at CeBIT. The FreeBSD port
| should become an official part of the
| upcoming Debian version 6.0 free distro.
|
| The new architectures kfreebsd-i386 and
| kfreebsd-amd64 will become a part of
| Debian's new offerings. The "k" in the
| name, Reichle-Schmehl indicates, is only
| that the FreeBSD kernel is involved and
| not the C libraries, for example. The
| FreeBSD kernel currently in use is version
| 7.2, with an update to 8.0 possible. The
| operating system should provide the "best
| of both worlds," the stable BSD kernel and
| Debian's package management and
| infrastructure.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/CeBIT-2010-Debian-with-BSD-Kernel