[News] "Patents Kill Innovation"; ACTA Affects Free Software

  • Subject: [News] "Patents Kill Innovation"; ACTA Affects Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:09:22 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

When Patents Kill Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Michelle Geis points to a new report in
| Genetics in Medicine suggesting that
| "exclusive licensing of gene patents does
| more to block competition and decrease
| patientsâ access to testing than it does to
| spur innovation."
`----

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/04/when-patents-kill-innovation.html

More harm than good?

,----[ Quote ]
| George Church, a molecular geneticist at
| Harvard Medical School and a pioneer of
| whole-genome sequencing, is unpersuaded.
| Leaving aside the cystic fibrosis case, he
| says genetic testing benefits from
| incentives for innovation by luring in
| investors. He objects to the recommended
| reforms as âmicro-manipulation of one small
| part of the patent systemâ that could have
| unintended consequences.
`----

http://www.economist.com/science-technology/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15905837

ACTA official text, re: software patents

http://news.swpat.org/2010/04/acta-text-released/

Indian Tribe Wins Fight to Limit Research of Its DNA

,----[ Quote ]
| The Havasupai settlement appears to be the
| first payment to individuals who said their
| DNA was misused, several legal experts
| said, and came after the university spent
| $1.7 million fighting lawsuits by tribe
| members.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/us/22dna.html

New Study Shows Gene Patents Stifle Innovation And Put People At Risk

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100421/1451179133.shtml

"Patent Absurdity" documentary available as free download

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Patent-Absurdity-documentary-available-as-free-download-981029.html

Free Software Film Slams Absurdity Of Software Patents

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/free-software-film-slams-absurdity-of-software-patents-6545

Film: "Patent absurdity"

http://lwn.net/Articles/383694/

Patent Absurdity: The Movie

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2010/04/patent-absurdity-the-movie.html

Recent:

Google TV: Another Reason Open Sourcing VP8 Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| Googleâs decision to open source On2
| Technologyâs VP8 video codec at its Google I/O
| developer conference next month is not only a
| huge boon for HTML5 web video and a blow
| against Adobeâs Flash. Itâs also clearly aimed
| at optimizing video playback on a number of
| devices, like the much-rumored Google TV
| platform as well as upcoming Android tablet
| PCs.
`----

http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/google-tv-another-reason-open-sourcing-vp8-matters/

Google to Open Source VP8?