[News] New Listings and Short Reviews of GNU/Linux Applications

  • Subject: [News] New Listings and Short Reviews of GNU/Linux Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:00:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Top 12 Native Linux System Monitoring Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| System Administrators (SAs) have a tough
| job: Dealing with users and user accounts,
| security, patching, updates, upgrades, disk
| space, performance and other miscellaneous
| tasks often known as "other duties as
| assigned." For some SAs, the day never
| ends. Despite the challenges, pitfalls and
| occasional irate user; system
| administration is a fulfilling job with
| intangible rewards like no other position
| in IT. To assist those weary SAs in their
| quest to conquer their Linux systems, I've
| devised this list of 12 native Linux system
| monitoring tools that are always at my
| fingertips.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story279745.html

New Nathive Image Editor Beta released

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/new-nathive-image-editor-beta-released.html

Tools that help PHP Programmers

http://www.mynitor.com/2010/04/28/tools-that-help-php-programmers/

Tom's Definitive Linux Software Roundup: Office Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Having covered Linux installation, running
| Windows XP in Ubuntu, Internet
| applications, and a handful of open source
| communications titles, Adam Overa is back
| with a comprehensive look at office apps
| for Windows users considering a switch to
| Linux.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/linux-open-office-lotus-symphony,2565.html

Ubuntu and Debian Security Applications Review

http://linux.bihlman.com/2010/04/27/ubuntu-and-debian-security-applications-review/

Midori 0.2.4: The good & the Bad

,----[ Quote ]
| At some point, nearly unnoticed, Midori
| 0.2.4 slipped through to repositories
| everywhere. I know what you're thinking,
| "Who cares about a 6 week old partial
| release? Lucid Lynx comes out in less than
| two days!" Well, I think Midori ought to
| find a home on your new install.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/using-midori-024.html

Git 1.7.1 released and available in my repository for Ubuntu Jaunty and Ubuntu Karmic

http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2010/04/24/git-1-7-1-released-and-available-in-my-repository-for-ubuntu-jaunty-and-ubuntu-karmic/

Gnome Commander Whips Files Into Shape

,----[ Quote ]
| As a file manager, Gnome Commander has the
| look and feel of early workhorses like
| Norton Commander and Midnight Commander.
| Among its many talents, Gnome Commander is
| a life-saver when it comes to synchronizing
| files. Something I wish were available in
| more apps I use is the ability to do
| advanced renaming of files, and GC does
| this with support for various types of
| meta-data.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/69869.html?wlc=1272492483

Gedit: No more text-based editor for you!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/29/gedit-no-more-text-based-editor-for-you/