[News] Teaching Oneself About Free Software Getting Simpler

  • Subject: [News] Teaching Oneself About Free Software Getting Simpler
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:04:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Bushel of Free FOSS Tutorials

,----[ Quote ]
| You can't knock a good FOSS tutorial. While
| documentation, including tutorials, is often
| a weakness with open source applications--
| even very established ones--the good news is
| that there are some outstanding free
| tutorials on the web. They're available for
| many projects and platforms. Sometimes these
| are delivered by the community behind
| particular projects, and sometimes they are
| from enthusiasts and other third parties. In
| this post, you'll find many of them.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/a-bushel-of-free-foss-tutorials

The USING Series: More than Just a Book

,----[ Quote ]
| I previously posted here in my blog that my
| eBook Using GIMP was going to be released
| within a few months. What I probably didn't
| spell out, is that it's part of a newly
| launched book series called Using under the
| imprint of the aforementioned QUE
| Publishing. But why should you care?
`----

http://millionchimpanzees.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-series-more-than-just-book.html

Bringing open source to schools

,----[ Quote ]
| The best way to ensure the spread and
| success of open source is to introduce the
| next generations of users, and potential
| contributors, to open source at an early
| age. But this isn't trivial. Aside from
| software suitable for young users, it takes

| a lot of support materials to teach a class
| and spread the word to educators. One of the
| better documented attempts at reaching
| students is MÃirÃn Duffy's eight-session
| Inkscape class and K12 Educator's Guide to
| Open Source Software.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/384966/814678c6d7f1770a/

Recent:

Forking, The Future of Open Source, and Github

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/04/01/github/