[News] Graphics Stack in Linux Gets More Freedom

  • Subject: [News] Graphics Stack in Linux Gets More Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 23:33:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LLVMpipe: OpenGL With Gallium3D on Your CPU

,----[ Quote ]
| The software rasterizer used in Mesa that
| allows for software acceleration of OpenGL
| on the CPU without any assistance from the
| graphics processor has largely been
| useless. Even with a modern-day, multi-core
| processor, the performance of Mesa's
| software rasterizer has been abysmal. The
| performance of Mesa classic DRI drivers
| have traditionally been poor anyways
| compared to the high-performance,
| proprietary NVIDIA/ATI graphics drivers,
| but when dealing with just the software
| rasterizer there really aren't any games or
| applications that run well. Fortunately,
| software acceleration on Gallium3D is very
| much a different story thanks to LLVM.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gallium3d_llvmpipe&num=1

A shout-out to nouveau

,----[ Quote ]
| They basically wrote a driver for an
| incredibly complicated piece of hardware,
| completely through memory trace dumps, with
| no help from nvidia whatsoever and can
| operate the 3D engine so well that one of
| the worldâs most awesome pieces of software
| runs on it. So from now on, I will no
| longer be using the binary nvidia driver,
| but instead nouveau, since it offers
| exactly what I need + next gen linux
| graphics technologies such as KMS,
| XRandR1.2 and G3D. Win Win Win.
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/a-shout-out-to-nouveau/

Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

,----[ Quote ]
| What these results do show is that Ubuntu
| 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" is very capable of
| being a comparable gaming platform to
| Microsoft Windows at least as far as the
| quantitative performance is concerned. This
| is good news as Valve's Steam client and
| the Source Engine come to Linux and the
| first of the Unigine Engine games (likely
| Primal Carnage) are released. The exception
| to this, however, is if using Intel
| graphics.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_windows_part1&num=1

Recent:

Nvidia Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/nvidia-releases-opengl-linux-drivers.html